Broody swap out... need some wisdom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eastbaychicks, May 17, 2010.

1. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Ok... I'm going to do it. I'm going to slip in some baby Cochins to my Broody tonight... wish me luck cuz I really don't want to hand raise baby chicks. But if I have to I will. Any tips. She is in a community nest that everyone is using right now so I'm going to have to close it off right. What else do I need to do? Do they need a light or is Mama warm enough. When I slip them in do I leave the eggs or take them out.... and what about the chick feed. Can Mama eat that or how do I separate those two foods?

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    HI There,

Just slip your babies in behind mamma hen and slip out her eggs. I usually confine her to this nest alone for another day if the chicks are brand new, or put her in a dark box in a dark place for a few hours to get used to the peeping under her and to bond with the chicks. The hen is fine eating what the chicks eat, but not the other way around. Give them chick starter and water and at day four I add some baby chick grit for them. Once mamma has acclimated, you can let her roam (risky) or put her in a pen. My in in a big horse water trough in my garage and locked up tight at nigth, and another in a rabbit hutch in the hen house, locked up tight all the time, and one lucky soul is in the feed room of my coop and free-ranges during the day right outside the coop door in my yard. Cats are bad about snatching baby chicks or hawks. I have never had any luck leaving mammas in the hen house with chicks, they get pecked by the other hens. However, one cochin roos helps mamma hen brood the bigger chicks and feeds them like a baby sitter. He is funny to watch, so protective of them. Half of them sleep under him now that they are bigger. Of course I have a half grown cockerel who still is sleeping under the wing of a full-grown RP Tom Turkey. Old Tom just sticks out his wing a bit and makes room. I love how the male birds get along so well with chicks, but the hens not so much. [​IMG]

Good Luck, Henz

3. calicokat

calicokat Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I do know that momma and chicks can both eat the chick feed, and yes, you need to close her off or others will kill the chicks.

Are you sure the eggs she's on won't hatch? If so, I guess it would be okay to remove the eggs, it's not like they're going to hatch [​IMG]

How many are you going to put with her? I would say if the number isn't overwhelming, she should be able to keep them all warm herself. From what I've been reading, they snuggle under her wings to stay warm, awwwwww [​IMG]

4. hipeatall

hipeatall Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes... fingers crossed! [​IMG]

5. 6694deb

6694deb Chirping

Apr 18, 2010
    Minnesota
    Good luck

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty certain that the eggs that she's been sitting on will never ever hatch.... since they are plastic easter eggs... pink and purple actually. Its super silly, but all the birds love to sit on them when she takes her daily break for about ten minutes.

Ohhhh I'm so excited... this guy says his daughter won first through third on all his Cochins so I'm happy, sounds like a great breeder to get them from.

I was thinking about six. Is that too few/many? I have no idea. He's only charging 3$ for them. And since he's willing to trade the roos out it's a pretty sure bet for me to get all hens, eventually. I wish so badly I could keep roos to help with the fathering. That sounds super sweet!

Ok... I'll put up some wire to keep the other birds out. A staple gun will make quick work of that. She can stay where she is and I can access her through the nest box doors. I'll probably keep her there so the other chickens get used to the babies. I'd really like them all to be able to be together. I've seen it before. But I don't want to have any pecking deaths.... so I'll wait a few weeks.

Oh I'm so excited to get babies! Thanks all... if you think of anything else let me know cuz seriously I'm so new to this it's retarded land here!

Should I put electrolytes in the water for the babies and mama?

7. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    [​IMG]
    Look!!! It is working, I'm so thrilled.

Last edited: May 18, 2010

8. hipeatall

hipeatall Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    YEA! What cute little babies! [​IMG]

9. eastbaychicks