Broody this time of year?

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
My Lacy just went broody (for the third time) and I am going to go for it and let her have a few chicks. I really want a rooster. I had one, he died, then tried to get some from eggs... all four girls!! Then got one from the feed store (turned out to be two of them and mutts.. not BR's like I wanted so gave them away!)

The weather here is warm and will be decent up until December but cooler nights and mornings for sure with some rain mixed in, I suspect.

I would love to hear of your experiences with having a broody and chicks this time of year.

Ellie

My Glenda is on Day 18 now, Ellie. I dont have experience with chicks under a broody this time of year, but there's plenty of time for them to get fully feathered, I think. Lacy's next batch of eggs will be at the P.O. first thing in the morning.

I think let nature take its course. I was just at the neighbors farm tonight and they have a chicken with 10 or so baby ducklings(just hatched a few days ago)! She was letting them swim in the mud puddle. They have a couple other hens sitting on eggs. I think the chickens just know what to do.

Hey, Cyn, I didn't know you had one sitting already. Boy, I have been off the forum and working too hard, lol.

I can't wait for Lacy to have those wonderful eggs of yours.

DayCare Mom, you are right, nature will indeed take it's course. I was hoping to hear postive things like this.

Ellie

Quote:
too bad about your bad luck with roos! i have one BR roo, 1 buff orp. roo, 1 Ameraucana roo, and one porcelain d'uccle bantam roo. and then a whole lotta hens!

My broody is on week three. If I didn't pull her off the eggless nest, she would starve to death. I'm not sure if I'll get Buff Orpingtons ever again...she goes broody all the time...my other buff has issues with laying internally and my third buff was blind and had seizures...

Good luck with yours!

Quote:
I had the same problems with couple of hens continuing to go broody , and eggless nest . UNTIL finally I put them on eggs . Once they had chicks , they are normal now . ITS the hormones and motherly nature . and yes , I also have to take her off the nest to eat and drink . and trust me , they don't stay OFF long at all . LOL

PUT them on fertilized eggs and 21 days later you will see a big difference .... EITHER way , hatching eggs , or just broody with eggless nest , they will take sometimes up to a month before they start laying again . SO , whats the difference ? LET her be a mommy

Last edited:
She's going to be a mommy again. I just sent Ellie a half dozen eggs to put underneath her. She had the fortune to get all pullets last time Lacy hatched some. Dont worry, Ellie! I sent you one of Lexie's and she produces more boys than girls. I think your grandson of Hawkeye is in this batch, providing the P.O. is kind to the pkg.

I cannot wait to get those eggs under her, Cyn.

CajunLizz, you are right, the eggs are not fertile.... that is why Cynthia sends "emergency eggs" as soon as we know Lacy is broody. Thank goodness for that. I just didn't get any females of all the things.

Red Feathers, don't give up on the BO's. But, you are so right: my Emily, a Bo would seldom get off the nest, she stayed for 30 days or so!!

Tomorrow Lacy gets the eggs and I guess I won't worry about the weather or having chicks this time of year.

Ellie

Back
Top Bottom