Broody too long!

FisherMOM

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Bergen, NY
My broody has been this way for 2 months now.

We take her of the nest and make her go outside. We put her on the roost at night. I have blocked her nest box and she goes and finds another. I cannot break her.

Is it too late in the year to get her some eggs to hatch? SHe is making me insane! Talk about a pigheaded chicken! geeesh!

If she's good mother, it's not too late to give her a few eggs. Some people in climates like yours have had chickens go broody in the middle of the winter and the chicks were fine--it all depends on the kind of mommy your hen will make. Sounds to me like she's determined to be a really great mommy.

Might as well give her what she wants! She sounds determined.

I'm always afraid they'll get bored after a week and stop being broody. But yours sounds like she might be ok!

Thanks

I'm thinking I might ask PP to send me a few Polish eggs! They lay white eggs and that is what we want. Of course any roosters would get re-homed.

After dealing with a sick chicken this week.. I just don't think that I can cull any roosters. Especially not Polish ones!

oh yeah, I even caught her sitting on a freshly laid leghorn egg one day!!! In a different nest box!
gig.gif

Quote:
I wish you lived closer to MO, I would sell you my 2 polish I have left, we don't have any girls. We have a beautiful Buff bearded polish and a golden polish both are gorgeous. My daughter is showing them Oct 18th then they are for sale. I don't know a thing about shipping live animals, but you sound like you would give them a great home!

I can't ever get pictures to load on here but I could e-mail you a pic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is she setting on eggs? or just an empty nest? I would put a few eggs under her, just long enough for the new babies you need to get for her to arrive!!
smile.png
I think it is too late for her to hatch her own eggs, but day old chicks would take right to her, and be feathered pretty well by the time it gets really cold!

I threw the eggs she was sitting on out a month ago.

I'm thinking Midnight is going to have to just get over this on her own. She is on an empty nest now.. and I can't order from a hatchery. I only want 2 maybe 3 chicks... not 25.
Good idea though if I was willing to grow my flock by leaps and bounds!

JMajors. sounds like you have roosters.. I can't own any more roosters. Those Polish roos are gorgeous birds though.

I suspect you guys are having this cold weather as well, Fisher. Not exactly hatching weather.
jumpy.gif

Maybe pour her a little corona with a twist of lime and get her to forget this nonsense broody business until next spring...
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom