Broody virgin, first time and all.

luckyramu

Songster
14 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Apple Valley
I just like using that word
smile.png

Well, I'm sorta new at the chicken thing, and have a tiny flock of faverolles. They have a nice coop, nice run, and the run of the back yard. I noticed one of my hens missing, and I really thought she had been taken by a hawk or something. But it turns out she laid some eggs under a junk-pile in my far back yard, and has become broody and is sitting on them.
In all fairness, she picked a cozy little nook right up against the wood fence, but... its in the dirt. I didn't see her come out all day and it really has me worried. I plan to put some food and water near her tomorrow morning. I'm really baffled why she chose there, when there are 4 perfectly good nesting boxes in the coop.
This is my first time with this, so I'm keeping my hopes down a bit.. so here are my questions.
1. Why do you suppose she chose there?
2. Should I move her? (I'm inclined to let nature take its course).
3. Do chickens ever die because of not eating or drinking water while being broody?
4. Anything I should be aware of?

Anyhow, thanks for your help. I love the BYC and its forum members. Your the greatest- even if you have been around the nest a few times.
wink.png

Trust me, she won't die. As long as she has access to food and water, she'll find her way around things. They're very sneaky and quick about it, too, so you often will think she never got up, but, she did at some point each day to each other day.

She chose that area though because it is the most secluded, away from predators' or other hens' knowledge and easy access. Dirt is fine if there's fertile eggs there. If you want, let nature take its course. Either let there be nothing under her or get yourself some fertile eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom