Broody Watch :) they've hatched!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, May 19, 2010.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    My little Cayuga, Pepper, went broody on cinco de mayo (May 5th) and has been dutifully sitting on her eggs. Her mate, Toby, convinces her to get up off her nest and go swimming for a short period of time, but one day she forgot to come back home. Yikes! I was certain she had given up and all the babies had died since she is so young, but the next day she was back on her nest. I felt bad because I thought the eggs were dead, so when she got up I went to go take them from her. I had a weird feeling though, so I decided to candle them just in case. They still had veins and beating hearts! I was so excited. As of today, we only have two more weeks before her hatchday comes around, and I was hoping to keep everyone updated and obviously post pictures. Come on Pepper, we're counting on you!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Come on Babies!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Was the day she stayed away so long a very warm day? Somehow they seem to know when they can leave the nest and when to get back.

4. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Was the day she stayed away so long a very warm day? Somehow they seem to know when they can leave the nest and when to get back.

yes, she normally leaves the nest the longest on the really warm days. funny how she just knows they'll be okay.

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    9 more days left!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

i've counted and she has 16 eggs, or at least around 16, she seems to hide them and most are looking good with veins and movement except for around 2 or 3 last time i checked, but i'm leaving it up to her.

Come on Pepper!! [​IMG]

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Come on Pepper! I hope she goes all the way for you.

7. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    The babies pipped! They're breathing from the air sac!! I forget how many hours from this stage they should start hatching. It's been more than a year since I did this. But I am soooo excited!! I'm like jumping up and down. This means sooo much to me. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ^^that doesn't even cover it haha

8. silkiesandbuffs

silkiesandbuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Weatherford, Texas
    Oh how exciting! Keep us posted on the progress! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    We had 12 little ducklings hatch yesterday! They're already up and about! They are sooo cute!

10. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

congratulations!!

You know we're dying to see pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by