Broody went to wrong nesting box.

ManWithChicks

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
Might be my fault, but I moved my broody over so that my other chickens would stop laying more eggs under her. She seemed fine with it, but maybe she was confused, cuz I noticed her on the wrong box today.
I moved her to the other box, with the eggs in it, but they didnt feel super warm. How long can she stay off her nest without them dying? Im pretty sure she was on them this morning. so max, 7 hours, in mid 70 to 80 weather.

If they were viable to begin with, they should still hatch. Understand that most hens imprint more strongly on the nest site than on the actual eggs.
Yeah, I kinda figured this was the case, but I really needed the other hens to stop laying under her, lol. maybe there was a better solution. I never meant for this hen house to even be for laying really, but I never was able to integrate my flocks the way I wanted. So I had a temporary laying box in the hen house on the ground, and one of my young hens decided to go broody in it. I really want more of the breed, so I figured I would let her try , but Ive never let a hen hatch eggs, so this is all new to me.

I really dont think the chicks can be raised in the hen house they are currently in, the exit would probably injure them or worse, its about a 4 foot drop onto hard dirt. Should I leave her on the eggs in there until the end and then move them? Or move and separate her early?

Back
Top Bottom