Broody won't eat

I was wondering, do you feed your chicks starter feed or medicated starter feed? I have read so much about both. Do you let your chicks be raised by the hen or do you separate them and use a light for heat. If you let them be raised by the hen, when do you integrate them?

By the way, I really like your picture.
smile.png

I don't use medicated feeds, sometimes I use chick starter or starter and layer mixed. If I have a broody handy and I have chicks, the broody raises them and they are integrated with the big flock by 2 wks. If I don't have a broody, I use a light, but the next time I'm going to be using a frame I've fashioned that will hold a heating pad over the chicks like a mama would.

I love that picture too....
love.gif

So, how do you know if the mom is taking care of them...keeping them warm? All of this is so new to me and I don't want to do anything, or not do something that I should do, that will end up hurting them.

So, how do you know if the mom is taking care of them...keeping them warm? All of this is so new to me and I don't want to do anything, or not do something that I should do, that will end up hurting them.

You watch to see if she is doing her job... and then you have faith that she will continue it. And she does. I do a lot of my flock raising by faith in God...I know that doesn't suit other folks but it keeps my flocks healthy, safe, and calm all their days and so it suits me down to the ground.

So, you give mom and babies the same feed? I thought that chicks do not need layer feed and laying hens do not need chick feed. I have read that each need different amounts of protein and other things.

So, you give mom and babies the same feed? I thought that chicks do not need layer feed and laying hens do not need chick feed. I have read that each need different amounts of protein and other things.

Yep...that's what they say.
wink.png
You'll have to do what makes you comfortable. I don't often make fussy routines to accommodate different age groups and sexes...I just feed everyone out of a big ol' bucket and free range them together. It's been working well for me but you will have to see what works for you.

I just went out and checked on them and one of my red stars is in a nesting box. She did this once before about a week or two ago. I took her out and she jumped back in. I took her out again and she stayed out. I don't need another one broody and I don't need poop in the box. Suggestions?

I just went out and checked on them and one of my red stars is in a nesting box. She did this once before about a week or two ago. I took her out and she jumped back in. I took her out again and she stayed out. I don't need another one broody and I don't need poop in the box. Suggestions?

Put her on the roosts. Sounds like she just likes sleeping in the nest boxes. Sometimes pecking order issues will cause a lesser bird to retreat to safety in the nest boxes but don't let her stay there. I'd either block off her nests or keep putting her on the roost until she gets the picture.

Back
Top Bottom