Broody?

brrabey

Chirping
Jul 30, 2016
Ok. I've got a 1yr old Appenzeller spitzhauben that is showing us signs of going broody. She had a tricked yesterday... went to lay, had 6 eggs in the box already. It was 3pm and she was growling when we would peek in and was all fluffed up and serious. We got so excited! The other girls cooped themselves, fretting about her but she held her ground and stayed in the nest box (away from the coop as pictured) overnight! We thought... this is it!!!
She left the eggs around 10am... she's normally our early bird. I thought she was just getting food but she left them all day... finally returned to them at 5pm... laid another egg and went broody again. Over night again. Left again at 10 this morning... late for her she is out and not interested.
Long story... but it's important that you know the details because I want to know what's going on!!! Is she practicing? Is this normal? What is she doing? Why? I know spitz aren't famous for going broody. Is it that she doesn't know how? Any tips or experiences are appreciated! I want to encourage her to broody and hatch me some baby spitz... it's a dream of mine.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
She is probably a VERY angry layer!
If she is stI'll laying, she won't brood yet. If she's getting angry about it, then she's probably getting ready.

She is probably a VERY angry layer!
If she is stI'll laying, she won't brood yet. If she's getting angry about it, then she's probably getting ready.

This is all new behavior for her. She has never laid in eggs over night. This is her 3rd night doing that. She laid the last 2 days and stayed in over night... i'll check tomorrow if she laid again today. I wish she'd just go broody. Is this her preparing to go broody?!

This is all new behavior for her. She has never laid in eggs over night. This is her 3rd night doing that. She laid the last 2 days and stayed in over night... i'll check tomorrow if she laid again today. I wish she'd just go broody. Is this her preparing to go broody?!
She may be getting ready to go broody.
I would not leave real eggs under her tho, gather them all at end of each day.

or She may be hiding out in nest to sleep at night if she's not being allowed on the roost.

Why not real eggs? They aren't fertile. No roosters here.
She is kinda the queen of the coop so no way she's getting pushed out. Only have 4 girls anyhow.
But... she loves roosting up in the trees during the summer last year I had to get her out every night. She's a wild one.

She may be getting ready to go broody.
I would not leave real eggs under her tho, gather them all at end of each day.

or She may be hiding out in nest to sleep at night if she's not being allowed on the roost.

Last edited:
Why not real eggs? They aren't fertile. No roosters here.
She is kinda the queen of the coop so no way she's getting pushed out. Only have 4 girls anyhow.
But... she loves roosting up in the trees during the summer last year I had to get her out every night. She's a wild one.
<shrugs>Why waste edible eggs?
I use fake eggs to test a broody.

Can you get fertile eggs for her?

Your nests are interesting...just hanging under a deck?
Would you post a pic of your coop?

Oh for sure... I'm ok losing a few eggs but I've seen the fake ones... I'll get some today!
My coop is across the yard. We're building a new one currently.
We built these next boxes under the deck because I was keeping my straw there and they were laying eggs in the straw. Now they refuse to lay in the coop unless they are locked in... which they never are. My husband is crafty and this was his idea... the girls love it. It's causing some fights. Only have 4 girls. Now building a green house coop. And it will be mostly a roost/shelter/run
I actually won a fertile egg bundle from alchemist farms that I will have shipped once she broods for sure. But I really want spitz eggs!

Last edited:
She's officially broody! Hasn't laid an egg in 4 days and has 2 days of only leaving the coop twice for 30 mins! Excitement all around. I've got eggs on their way! Anyone else ever have a broody AS? How'd they do? Good mothers?
She's acting so different. She's normally our easiest chicken but today while she was out on her break she wasn't mean but wasn't nice. Here she is puffing up at her sisters... big as a turkey! She's very vocal now as well... all new noises. And very red, I gave her a hug and her cheeks were so warm.

Back
Top Bottom