Broody?

She might be in the first stage of going broody. A non broody hen will usually go to her nest box when she feels an egg on the way, lay it, sit there a little while. Then get up and not return. A hen going broody will start going in the nest box repeatedly, staying longer and longer each time until she will lay a final egg and not get up (until she takes a break the next day). Keep a close eye on your hen because she might be thinking about it.

Mine actually started trying this game this week. I noticed she was sitting in an empty nesting box for hours at a time. I fixed it by repeatedly pulling her out of the nesting box and putting her out with the flock (way to spend a weekend). When the rest of the flock was on the roost for the night, I took her back out and put her on the roost with them. She came to her senses after 3 days. There are other ways to break a broody. I think I just got lucky catching it early.

Not to say your hen isn't in the process of going broody, but she isn't broody yet.

A full-on broody is so single-minded and determined to sit on a nest, and it can be perfectly empty or have a couple of golf balls in it, nothing you do will deter her from that nest short of you locking her up so she can't get to it.

Th
She might be in the first stage of going broody. A non broody hen will usually go to her nest box when she feels an egg on the way, lay it, sit there a little while. Then get up and not return. A hen going broody will start going in the nest box repeatedly, staying longer and longer each time until she will lay a final egg and not get up (until she takes a break the next day). Keep a close eye on your hen because she might be thinking about it.
Thank you for the info

A
Not to say your hen isn't in the process of going broody, but she isn't broody yet.

A full-on broody is so single-minded and determined to sit on a nest, and it can be perfectly empty or have a couple of golf balls in it, nothing you do will deter her from that nest short of you locking her up so she can't get to it.
Ahh thank you

Mine actually started trying this game this week. I noticed she was sitting in an empty nesting box for hours at a time. I fixed it by repeatedly pulling her out of the nesting box and putting her out with the flock (way to spend a weekend). When the rest of the flock was on the roost for the night, I took her back out and put her on the roost with them. She came to her senses after 3 days. There are other ways to break a broody. I think I just got lucky catching it early.
thanks for the advice ^^ i dont mind a broody hen but I feel bad cuz we keep taking her eggs

Back
Top Bottom