Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by micstrachan, May 24, 2019.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

So Cashew is only my second broody. Strange behavior indeed! I’m considering getting her a couple chicks. Or putting a fan on her. LOL I had to put her on the roost after dark, otherwise she wouldn’t stay there. She wanted to sleep in the corner of the coop floor sitting on... nothing but bedding. Apparently she thinks she can hatch chicks out of thin air!

I had taken her from her spot and walked her across the yard. She was in a hurry to get back. Too cute! But she’s getting thin...

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    BlueBaby and cavemanrich like this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Do you have fertile eggs that you can give her? I think having chickens hatch out chicks is the BEST. :thumbsup
    They then raise and protect them. This way,,,,,,,, less work for assimilation into flock.

micstrachan likes this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

No fertile eggs here. Not sure I can chance a rooster, either. But my local feed store has salmon faverolles and ameraucanas (among other breeds) chicks available tomorrow! They were on my “some day” list.

BlueBaby and cavemanrich like this.
  4. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Oooh, and black copper marans! My brooder became a bunny cage, so I’d need to figure something out. And shouldn’t I move her a couple days before getting the chicks if I do this?

cavemanrich likes this.
  5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I'm not an expert on raising chicks,,,, But do consider myself kind of good on trickery:oops:
    I would let broody sit on unfertile eggs, and when you are ready, switch out eggs with baby chicks. I would do it in the darkness of the night. In the morning,,,, broody happy as a LARK:frow:yesss:

6. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Yes, that is what I’m thinking. But I’m not putting tiny chicks in the main coop with her; I’ll have to move her. Thinking of setting up a brooder of sorts in the house and seeing if she’ll sit on eggs there. If so, I think she might need to be rewarded with chicks.
    :jumpy:ya:highfive:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    cavemanrich likes this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I just put four chicks under Cashew. She seemed to accept them. I’ll check again before I go to sleep. They’re all on the floor of the main coop underneath Cashew. I’ll be sure to be there when the big girls get up in the morning and move Cashew and crew into the little cage I have set up in the coop. I tried moving Cashew and eggs into the cage beforehand, but it was a no go. She was very upset and wanted out. I hope when she realizes she’s a mom the move into cage goes ok.

CSAchook and cavemanrich like this.
  8. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Oh, and feed store was already out of the Marans and Ameraucanas. Got Salmon Faverolle, California White, Buckeye and Barred Rock. Barred Rock seems a little darker than other Barred Rocks and white patch on top of head is teeny tiny.

CSAchook and cavemanrich like this.
  9. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Stuff goes fast,,,, Will they get more of your desired soon? (Marans and Ameraucanas)

I'm not totally sure,,,, but a white spot on the head is a Determining Sex Link for MALE...
    But I'm also not sure which breed of chickens at this moment.:idunno

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

A broody will even sit on fake egg's, and they won't go rotten.

micstrachan and cavemanrich like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: