Broody?

Apr 5, 2018
One of my hens is sitting on her eggs.

I had 3 hens. I introduced some chicks and they're all a big family now. Would that cause her to go broody?

Also, what are the chances that her eggs will hatch? New England summer weather and her sitting?

Any experience? I read that it's rare in captivity.

Not a quail person, but in my flock of chickens, it seems that every time that one hen hatches babies, then EVERYONES going broody left and right. So, maybe that played into it?

I have a broody coturnix, when I collect the eggs I don’t feel they are warm enough most times. I think they get up too much, sit on more than they can handle, don’t build proper nests etc. someone on here just had a broody surprise hatch 2 chicks, but it’s far more unlikely than with chickens or many other birds.

Last edited:
I have a broody coturnix, when I collect the eggs I don’t feel they are warm enough most times. I think they get up too much, sit on more than they can handle, don’t build proper nests etc. someone on here just had a broody surprise hatch 2 chicks, but it’s far more unlikely than with chickens or many other birds.

Sometimes it doesn't look like they're sitting enough, but they actually are. I've had many broody quails, and they get off to eat, drink, poop, stretch, dust bathe and the eggs still hatch. I also had one sit on 12 eggs, with 10 that hatched, so they can handle a lot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom