broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by werecatrising, Jul 1, 2010.

1. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    This is probably a dumb question, but a broody hen sets all day, doesn't she? My chickens free range. They are all out and about when I leave for work in the morning and when I get home in the evening. However, at sunset when I go to gather the eggs there is one hen camped out in one of the nesting boxes. She gets quite offened when I go to move her. This has been going on for about a week. Could the eggs be incubating, or should I toss them?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If she is out every morning then maybe you are interrupting her when she is laying. Normally when ever my hens go broody they increase the amount of time they are in the nest box kind of a little more each day until they are there full time and if they do come off the nest their feathers are sort of puffed up and they make a deeper clucking sound.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Check her chest -- a broody will pluck out her chest feathers to expose the skin. That way, when she lays on the clutch of eggs, it's skin to egg contact and it will keep the eggs warmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by