1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickycat, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Chickycat

Chickycat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    I have a 6 month old Buff Orpington that seems to be broody. She started this about 5 days ago. She puffs up and growls and as far as I can tell has not left the nest. Yesterday, hubby said he lifted her off the nest and set her on the floor and there was only one egg under her after five days of broody behavior. He said he went back out 20 minutes later, and she was still on the floor where he had set her and he put her back on the nest. I thought they laid an egg every day when they went broody, but after five days there is only one egg. How can I tell if she is broody or if something else is wrong? They have only been laying eggs for about 3 months.
    Also, how long does it take for eggs to hatch?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    In my experience, buff orpingtons are famous for thier broodiness. It drives me bonkers! Do you have a rooster, do you know if the eggs are fertile or not! If they are not, then I would break her of the brood. They get a little mean and will peck during a brood too, I would pick mine off the nest and take the eggs everytime I noticed them sitting there and sometimes it would only take me two times and they would break and sometimes it takes a week. If they are fertile and you want a few more chicks, let her sit on them.

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    buff orps are known as a broody breed...they are what I use for broody hens and I have had at least 7-8 go broody every spring for the past few years.

hens do not continue to lay eggs after they are broody. if she is sitting on one egg she is not going to lay more. If you want chicks I would suggest taking the egg, throwing it away and replacing it with 5-10 fertile eggs if you have a roo. I wouldnt let her sit on one though, if it dosnt hatch she will continue to be broody.

21 days for an egg to hatch.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Once they start sitting, they do not lay eggs. It definitely sounds like you have a broody. It takes 21 days for the egg to hatch, but my experience so far with my broody, they hatched a day early.

5. Chickycat

Chickycat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    Thanks everyone. We are going to put some more eggs under her over the next couple of days. We do have a roo, and three other BO hens and three Gold Lace Wyandottes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by