1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pattycake, Apr 10, 2008.

1. pattycake

pattycake Songster

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I was carrying one of my Jersey Giants around and discovered that her lower stomach is totally bald! I know that's a sign of broodiness, but that's the only one: she's not sitting on the nest any longer than usual and she lets me take her eggs away.

I'm sort of interested in letting her raise a brood when the weather gets a bit warmer. If I stuck her in a pen with a clutch of eggs would she sit on them, you think? Or should I make sure she's sitting first?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Could be that she is getting ready to go broody or lice/mites.
    I have noticed...my broodys walk around puffed up and clucking for a day or two, then PLOP, down on the nest they go. Good luck with her...I hope she is going broody for ya.

3. pattycake

pattycake Songster

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Uh-oh, I hadn't thought of lice or mites. [​IMG]

I'd better go do a search on that...

4. SillyChick

SillyChick Songster

Dec 15, 2007
    Hmmm........Yes, she might be broody. Check on her behavior after a few days and see if she shows signs of broodiness. I hope it's not lice/mites!

Good luck!

5. pattycake

pattycake Songster

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I looked her over carefully, and a couple other chickens too, and I didn't see any mites or bugs of any kind... can you see mites?

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    you tell me [​IMG]

7. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Songster

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    One day when I checked for eggs I found several feathers in a nest box. There were enough that it alarmed me(I am still new to this) so I began looking to see if something somehow stuck an arm in and grabbed some feathers. Nope, airtight-well almost! The next day or two I noticed at night when I put the hens to bed one was in the nest. I thought it odd but picked her up and placed her on the roost with the rest. I don't have a rooster by the way. Then it dawned on me- MY FIRST BROODY!!!! So I went to my dad's and eggnapped a few fresh ones and today makes day 14!!!! And she is still setting! She is also a Jersey Giant. My other Jersey went broody a few days later but she is kinda wishy washy about it! she won't stay on them all day so when I gather eggs, I just take hers. And I don't think she cares!Keep us posted on yours. Pattycake, I say broody hen!

8. pattycake

pattycake Songster

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Thanks, Bamagirl! I love my Jersey Giants and think they would make great mothers -- they're so sweet and gentle.

I'll be watching for your hatch![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Songster

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    Today is day 21. I may have done it wrong but I gathered eggs for 3 days and put under her . So I still have 2 days on the last ones I added if it works. I could have sworn I saw some movement today when I made my broody go get food and water! I am so excited!!!![​IMG] Hope I get at least one chick out of those eggs!! [​IMG]

10. Ericasl

Ericasl Songster

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Lets us know when they hatch!!I could only dream of a broody hen.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: