Broody???

pattycake

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
fingerlakes, ny
I was carrying one of my Jersey Giants around and discovered that her lower stomach is totally bald! I know that's a sign of broodiness, but that's the only one: she's not sitting on the nest any longer than usual and she lets me take her eggs away.

I'm sort of interested in letting her raise a brood when the weather gets a bit warmer. If I stuck her in a pen with a clutch of eggs would she sit on them, you think? Or should I make sure she's sitting first?

Could be that she is getting ready to go broody or lice/mites.
I have noticed...my broodys walk around puffed up and clucking for a day or two, then PLOP, down on the nest they go. Good luck with her...I hope she is going broody for ya.

Uh-oh, I hadn't thought of lice or mites.
sad.png

I'd better go do a search on that...

Hmmm........Yes, she might be broody. Check on her behavior after a few days and see if she shows signs of broodiness. I hope it's not lice/mites!

Good luck!

One day when I checked for eggs I found several feathers in a nest box. There were enough that it alarmed me(I am still new to this) so I began looking to see if something somehow stuck an arm in and grabbed some feathers. Nope, airtight-well almost! The next day or two I noticed at night when I put the hens to bed one was in the nest. I thought it odd but picked her up and placed her on the roost with the rest. I don't have a rooster by the way. Then it dawned on me- MY FIRST BROODY!!!! So I went to my dad's and eggnapped a few fresh ones and today makes day 14!!!! And she is still setting! She is also a Jersey Giant. My other Jersey went broody a few days later but she is kinda wishy washy about it! she won't stay on them all day so when I gather eggs, I just take hers. And I don't think she cares!Keep us posted on yours. Pattycake, I say broody hen!

Thanks, Bamagirl! I love my Jersey Giants and think they would make great mothers -- they're so sweet and gentle.

I'll be watching for your hatch!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Today is day 21. I may have done it wrong but I gathered eggs for 3 days and put under her . So I still have 2 days on the last ones I added if it works. I could have sworn I saw some movement today when I made my broody go get food and water! I am so excited!!!!
ya.gif
Hope I get at least one chick out of those eggs!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom