Broody

kellyguillory

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
I need some advice. I have a broody hen. 20 days now. Stuck some fertilized eggs under her but i'm afraid they aren't hatching. Last night I stuck three 2 day old chicks under her and took some eggs away. I woke up this morning and she had killed one and the other two were huddled in a corner away from her, where she couldn't get them. I scooped them up and they are now brooding in the laundry room. Im heartbroken this didn't work, seeing as I followed all the directions carefully.

My question is, should I try it again tonight. Or do you think its over, now that she has already tried to kill them?
I'm not sure what went wrong. I hate that one had to die already.

Thanks

Chickens are subject to hormones...right now the hormones are telling your hen to sit...not to care for babies. Those hormones wont come until she hears the eggs pip and has a successful hatch. She probably wont take the chicks. The sitting behavior can be present up to72 hours after the chicks hatch...then the new set of hormones tell her to care for them, then after several weeks, new hormones tell her she is done and to start laying eggs again. IF she hatches an egg, you may try to introduce the chicks again by removing all the ones that hatch then put them back with the new ones. It's the easiest way to trick her into knowing they aren't hers.

I had a broody that did not hatch out any of her eggs. So after about 3/12 weeks, we got her some 2 day old chicks. We put them under her at night, when she was asleep and took all the eggs with us. She took them (5). Out of the 5 we have 2 left. I think she smothered 2, one was sick and the other 2 made it.

Dont know what to tell you, but I wouldnt put anymore under her this round. Have you candled the eggs?
Done the water test? Although 20 days is not that long, give her a few more days to hatch.

good luck

I candled at day 14. They looked ok to me. Haven't since. The only thing concerning is that its hot in Austin 103-104, so Im wondering if the heat did something to them.

Chickens are subject to hormones...right now the hormones are telling your hen to sit...not to care for babies. Those hormones wont come until she hears the eggs pip and has a successful hatch. She probably wont take the chicks. The sitting behavior can be present up to72 hours after the chicks hatch...then the new set of hormones tell her to care for them, then after several weeks, new hormones tell her she is done and to start laying eggs again. IF she hatches an egg, you may try to introduce the chicks again by removing all the ones that hatch then put them back with the new ones. It's the easiest way to trick her into knowing they aren't hers.

So how long could it take? My silkie hasn't layed again for at least 3-4 weeks. I have another hen who just layed her first egg today. I'm hoping my silkie will follow suit!

Back
Top Bottom