Broody

chasiekitten12

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
I have a broody hen will she lay and i know silkies are known for being broody how can i stop them fro being broody and should i give her a fertille egg how many SO MANY QUESTION (i have more too)

Usually not, she will lay a few eggs and then go broody to sit on them. she will likely also sit on other birds eggs as well. you can stop broodies by putting them in a broody breaker, the idea is that they cant sit down and that their chest and underside is exposed to the cold air. if you decide to give her fertile eggs then I would give her at least 6, as not all will usually hatch. It really does depend on the size of her and the size of the eggs. I can fit 8-10 large eggs under a silkie hen, or 15 med eggs under a light sussex hen

Once she goes properly broody she will not lay any eggs, she will be more interested in sitting on what evers in there/ her other laid eggs. It really does depend, some people have great layer strains for broodies, or great broody strains or both. It is said that between 50-100 eggs per year, currently I get about 150 per bird per year, a few less with my broody prone silkies. Most people don't keep them for their eggs, more as a pet/ ornamental bird or as a broody hen because they make such great mothers.

Like I said you either have to use a broody breaker ( there are some great tips on this site) let them do their thing, its instinctual. Or only have hybrid chickens, hybrids have had their broodyness bred out of them, tho occasionally they do go broody but it's rare

Well those are pretty much your choices. Another option with varied results is to shut them out of the house so that they can't stay in and sit on eggs. But your other birds won't like it because they will want to get in there especially if they are laying

You might want to checkout Garden Betty's how to break a broody. I just read that and think that is what I will try. Our Buff has been brroody for nearly 4 weeks now with no fertile eggs and scares off our Ameracaunas that should be laying any time now.

Back
Top Bottom