• Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chickengirl2014

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Ft myers, Florida
I have a golden comet hen who i think is broody she her stool is huge and she is always on the nest she was born In February 2014 do you think she's broody?? And also is there a way to get all female eggs?? or can you give the broody day old chicks? is it ok to mix breeds?? (Not same as mom) and how long does broodyness last without chicks?? Sorry so many questions just I never had a broody before

If she is broody, she will stay on the nest night and day, she will probably growl and peck at you if you reach for her, and if you set her on the coop floor near her nest, she will probably flatten out as if covering eggs. No, there is no way to sex an egg before hatch. Boodies will set on an breed of eggs, and even other eggs such as duck eggs. You can also (usually) place day old chicks under a broody and she will take over raising them. This is best done after dark, in the evening, so she has the night to get accustomed to the chicks.

More about broodies:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

Back
Top Bottom