BroodyExpert101

BroodyExpert101

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Hi, I'm a new member here in the forum. Let me tell you, Its an awsome site!!! I learned so many things from being here. I wish I can tell the whole world about this Website. I bet they'll love it too. Even though they probobly do not have chickens, This site is terribly funny!

As you can see my nickname says BroodyExpert101, you can just call me "BE101". When I first saw this site, I said to myself that these people aren't getting all the information they need. That is kinda why I came
smile.png
(although I learned many awsome things here) I noticed that people needed information about broodies. I know that HappyHens is one person who realy has many broody questions and a lot of other people do too
wink.png

All my life I've been dealing with broodies: pigeons, turkeys, Emu, chickens, guineas, parakeets, parots, etc. etc. etc. So I'm just telling ya'll that if you need any help, you are always able to ask me.

My hen has seven beautiful chicks but she just wants to sit everywhere she goes. The chicks want to go and explore we have to watch them because they get into trouble. we are not always going to be there why want the hen do her job. shes a first time mother.

Why does my Red Bourbon turkey hen sit for 10 hours then get off the nest for 24 hours, then sit for 15 hours then get off the nest for 2 days? Eventually (after a week or tow of this, they sit and stay there). But doesn't that mean all the eggs are destroyed (heated and cooled too many times). All 5 of my turkey hens did the exact same thing, so I'm wonder if it's actually OK for the eggs???

BE101 -- it looks like you have your work cut our for you!

There is something *not quite right* with this thread ....

I'll just sit back and watch
smile.png

Love ya all.

Quote:
Yep .... and 8400 opinons too
smile.png

I have a rule about internet advice, that has stood me in good stead since the beginnings of Usenet:

*Take what you need, and leave the rest*

Hi!
I need a broody expert
smile.png

I counted yesterday and have 30 broody hens (8 in the big coop, 10 in the Frizzle coop, 3 in the Silkie coop, 2 in hutches, 7 in the Silkie-cross mutt coop --- I forgot to add the 2 girls in the naked neckxsilkie pen, that makes 32).

What advice would you give someone with this many broody hens on eggs (actually, only 20-ish girls are hatching eggs, the rest are wannabees)?
When they go broody en masse like this, I don't have enough nest boxes for everyone.
I had to take the nest boxes OUT of the Frizzle pen last spring because the girls were smothering each other trying to get to the eggs to set (I had 2 hens that wouldn't budge and did get smothered by other hens trying to be broody. Now they are poor deprived chickens because they have no nest boxes and have to lay their eggs and brood on the coop floor. Lol, there's less chance they won't suffocate each other this way.
Thanks for any advice you can offer
smile.png

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom