Broodys attacking chicks

Morninglory709

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 29, 2014
New Mexico
I have 4 broody hens separated from the rest of the flock. Two in one box and one in another to start. Got another broody hen, got sick of trying to oust her every day to get the eggs from under her. So i put her in with the three other broodys. She chose to join the two, making it three in one box, they shared the box for at least ten days to hatching. They hatched six or seven over several days. Then the trouble started today. They seemed upset and pecky at the babies. Found a newly hatched cooling chick outside the box they had pecked in the head. Removed it to a heated nest. Saw another newly hatched in the box but they were not keeping it warm. Removed that. Later I went in and found a chick with a big bloody injury to it's head. Removed that and removed another that looked unhappy outside the box and cooling.

Help, what went wrong? Too many hens? The rest are ok for tonite, I hope. I have another broody hen that I kept moving aside. So tonite I isolated her, gave her fake eggs. Can I introduce the chicks to her tomorrow night? Two seemingly healthy and two somewhat injured?

Has anyone had this problem?

Separate hens. Too many complications associated with such tight confines with multiple hens. With pairs, give one hen hatched chicks and mover her with brood to a different location. Leave other with eggs in place.

Agree with the above. Your hens are getting confused on what babies are hers. I'd take the bird that's been broody the longest and give her the chicks, removing her from the area. If you have enough chicks and are inclined, divide the chicks among more than one hen, but you'll need to separate them from each other, at least for a few days until their little chicken brains sort out who belongs to them.

I moved one hen with the remaining eggs upstairs. Left two with the hatchlings. Everything seems to have settled down. I have a broody hen in the wings on fake eggs just in case. I probably should move the hen whose eggs should be hatching soon. Think? Maybe with the broody in the wings? I don' t have anymore separate space! As it is I have five separate care centers. Thank you so much for your help!

The hens with hatched chicks can go back in the flock. I don't as a rule separate my broodies from the flock, they raise the chicks there from day one. The rooster looks out for the chicks, and no one wants to mess with momma.

Ok, everything has settled down. Two hens have the oldest chicks. Detente in there. Foster mamma has the rescued and injured and LOVES them. There are two others on eggs, one with foster Mom and one alone. Whew! The reason I can not put them in with the flock is the raccoons kill them.
Thanks again all.

Back
Top Bottom