Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Hello all!

We are in the middle of moving and sold some of our flock. We downsized from about 47 to 15-20. We have one rooster and our oldest chicken is an injured one that has survived all the predator attacks over the last several years. Her name is hop along and she is a trooper!!

We are looking to move with all of our chickens so if anyone has good ideas on how to move full grow chickens several hundred miles, I’m all eyes!
That's a lot of birds to move, but it can be done. I've moved and driven birds cross country in the past.

How far will you be traveling? Don't use boxes that will not allow plenty of air, I used wire dog crates, I put grass hay in the bottom so the birds don't slip, and I covered the cages (almost to the floor) with a thin blanket to make it dim inside so they would be quiet. If it's warm when you travel, you can use a sheet. If you are only going to drive a few hours, you won't need to stop. But if the journey is longer, I'd plan on stopping every 4 hours for food and water. I do not advise letting them out as accidents do happen. Best of wishes with moving!

Nice to see so many replies. We are doing well here. My Buff Rocks are so freaking spoiled! LOL! The dogs love the chickens and hang out in the yard with them everyday. I never leave my girls unattended when they are out of the run because I'm afraid of the hawks. We are overrun with eggs and now two of our four hens are thinking about going full-on broody. Time to pull out the broody breaker box.

Hi there! Thanks for checking in! We don't have chickens yet - still finishing up our house and hoping to move in by the end of May. There's a small barn on site that I want to convert to a coop, but I don't know if we'll be able to finish that in time for fall. My plan is to start with incubating/hatching eggs as a sort of homeschool project.
My goal is to have a small flock of Icelandic chickens by next spring. :)

Attachments

• 20240416_123933.jpg
    20240416_123933.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Hey Everyone!
Busy building additional coops here in Kentucky. Our Jersey Giants are now out in a full coop and the Beilefelders aren't far behind.
Lots of chicks hatching in the brooder room. We raise 3 Polish varieties, Salmon Faverolles, Buff Orps and Dominiques.
I so enjoy the excitement at reading everyone's comments regarding their fun and crazy chooks!

I've been helped so many times by this blog. I live in an area with very severe and shifting weather (South Dakota). After 2 years I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of it--shade cloth, a fan, and mister in summer, clear tarps in winter. At great expense got a metal roof on part of the run for winter as well, which has made a huge difference and dramatically decreased my workload. But it's all worth it!! 2 new chicks this year.

Nice to see so many replies. We are doing well here. My Buff Rocks are so freaking spoiled! LOL! The dogs love the chickens and hang out in the yard with them everyday. I never leave my girls unattended when they are out of the run because I'm afraid of the hawks. We are overrun with eggs and now two of our four hens are thinking about going full-on broody. Time to pull out the broody breaker box.
Oh goodness, I'd LOVE to get some of the hens going broody! My incubators are full, full, full! :)
Yesterday we had two crows chase off a hawk. I feel they are my heroes right now. Hope they stick around the area!

Hello. I have unfortunately had alot of issues with my chickens. From them getting sick and dying, to a coyote coming in and taking 6 of them, to more getting sick and dying. I am now down to 9 hens 1 rooster. My flock has mareks so I cannot have anymore chickens which I am very sad about. I had just gotten into hatching chicks. Unfortunately all my favorite chickens have passed away so now I'm just feeding a small flock to live out their lives. Maybe one day in the future I'll be able to have more chickens.
I’m sorry for your losses, I feel ya my favorite silver laced wyandotte liked to sleep on top of her coop and a possum came and ate her head off 😭 I wasn’t preoared for that, but now I know!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi again! We are doing well. I have been a very busy chicken mama!we did lose two of my favorite girls last year. But we also have been raising broilers for my daughter to show. Other than that we have a happy healthy flock and stay busy! Hope everyone else is doing well!

Back
Top Bottom