Broody's behaviour prior to setting?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by miss_thenorth, Jun 2, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    last night when I went to tuck in the chickens, two were missing. hubby came out to help look, we found one on the ground (red sexlink--idk why she was on the ground), and the other was up in the rafters, in a rubbermaid container that we have stored up there. She was sitting on eggs, so I figured today I would move her to a brooding pen, but this morning she was up and about with the other chickens. Is this normal? is she getting ready to set?

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    they will lay until they get enough then they set

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I have very little experience.

I thought I had a hen or two going broody. They were kind of acting like it so I saved a dozen eggs in a nest box over two or three days. Nothing happened, a false alarm.

I then had two hens that wouldn't leave the box so they each got more eggs. Had 8 eggs from each hen hatch. Standard hen lost 4 eggs. Banty hen hatched them all.

Your experience sounds like my first experience.

4. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I'm not sure how many eggs she has up there right now, but the part I found strange is that she sat on them all night, but was up and about today.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] One of my bantams did that - she sat on the nest all day all night but the next day when i opened up she SHOT out the door and didn't go back.... [​IMG]

My broody hen was MEAN and GRUMPY for a week before she finally sat on eggs.... she would PUFF herself up when ever another chicken came past, I thought she was SICK! [​IMG] I have noticed she's doing that same puff up and grumpy cluck noise now when any of the others get too close to her babies....

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sometimes they get caught on the nest trying to lay an egg late in the evening, so they just sleep there and return to the flock in the morning. My broodies normally act unsociable and always huffed up and growling at everyone when they're off their nests or are about to go broody.

7. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:last night when hubby climbed up to look, he got kinda close to see if there were eggs there, nd she puffed up like she was broody. i will check again tonight to see if she is there again.

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

The sreaming beach ball or screaming meemees are a sign of broodiness but I have noticed that most of hens get huffy when there are in the nest box for whatever reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by