Brookings Oregon

freebird22

Chirping
Feb 24, 2014
Hello,
I currently live in Maine, but lived in Oregon for 20 years.
My last Oregon residence was in the Ashland area.

After 25 years of hard winters in Maine I am ready to come home. I have always loved the s. Oregon coast and am looking at the Brookings area.

I have been raising bantam cochin chickens for the past few years and want to continue. What is the best place in Brookings or the Curry county area to have a mini farm. I would like to have chickens (with a rooster), bees, and Pygmy goats with a few acres.

Thanks Freebird

Hello,
I currently live in Maine, but lived in Oregon for 20 years.
My last Oregon residence was in the Ashland area.

After 25 years of hard winters in Maine I am ready to come home. I have always loved the s. Oregon coast and am looking at the Brookings area.

I have been raising bantam cochin chickens for the past few years and want to continue. What is the best place in Brookings or the Curry county area to have a mini farm. I would like to have chickens (with a rooster), bees, and Pygmy goats with a few acres.

Thanks Freebird

Hi! I live close to Brookings in the Smith River area across the state line. I'm fairly new to the area so I'm not sure. All those animals are ok here but there are a lot of black bears, hawks and raccoons and all have been in our yard but none have gotten our free range chickens we've had since March. I close them up before dusk and we have two dogs that bark at predators and hang out by the chickens and they do great.

The bee woman at the Farmers market in Brookings said the salt air affects bee hives if you're too close to the ocean but I don't know how far out it would bother them. She said there's a bee keeper in Smith River and that's a couple miles out from the ocean.

I saw in an online newspaper awhile back (maybe the Triplicate) that Brookings passed a livestock law that allowed miniature goats and chickens etc in town. I don't remember if there was anything about roosters. Also the Facebook site Brookville has a lot of locals on there that might know more about that. It's a beautiful and peaceful area and everyone is so laid back and friendly. I love it. :)

Back
Top Bottom