Broomstick method question

I do the corotid artery slit. Some advice: don't start the process if you aren't feeling up to your best. Being a bit tired can cause lack of focus. Only use a very sharp knife and one you're used to using.
I was on bird #6, and I have done hundreds, I was tired and getting stiff, using a new knife, and just wanted to get done. This is what happened when I did the slit, it had healed quite a bit by this pic, but took a while.
KIMG0673.JPG

All the movements you describe are normal, no matter the method of killing. The bird will still move, even though she is still dead. What you are seeing is random electrical impulses still firing. I use the broomstick, but am hoping to be able to use the carotid artery slit this year, If I can find a jug big enough for a killing cone. Next time you have to use a broomstick, place it at the very top of the neck, between head and neck. And yes, sometimes I've misjudged and pulled the head off. Dead is dead. If you don't want to see the flopping, drop a bucket OVER the bird.
Oh, thank you, thank you. I needed to hear those exact words! Big sigh of relief.
Everyone her has spared me of more suffering. I am grateful.

I do the corotid artery slit. Some advice: don't start the process if you aren't feeling up to your best. Being a bit tired can cause lack of focus. Only use a very sharp knife and one you're used to using.
I was on bird #6, and I have done hundreds, I was tired and getting stiff, using a new knife, and just wanted to get done. This is what happened when I did the slit, it had healed quite a bit by this pic, but took a while.View attachment 1080252
:(

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone. Everyone uses the method that's best for them and there birds and the situation. It's the way I learned to do it. It's not easy and I have my "rituals*, I say a prayer of thanksgiving and ask forgiveness for taking a life. But it's how I feed my family.
Please don't let my way upset you, and don't ever do it someone else's way just because they tell you too. Do it the way that best suits you and yours.:hugs

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone. Everyone uses the method that's best for them and there birds and the situation. It's the way I learned to do it. It's not easy and I have my "rituals*, I say a prayer of thanksgiving and ask forgiveness for taking a life. But it's how I feed my family.
Please don't let my way upset you, and don't ever do it someone else's way just because they tell you too. Do it the it best suits you and yours.:hugs
Oh, there was nothing at all wrong or hurtful about your response at all. I just posted a sad face in empathy for your sliced finger.
Now that I think of it, I'm really glad you mentioned your experience. Sharp knives have a way of slicing my hands and I keep all of mine very dull. It wouldn't be safe for me to use a knife, hatchet, or ax.

Oh, there was nothing at all wrong or hurtful about your response at all. I just posted a sad face in empathy for your sliced finger.
Now that I think of it, I'm really glad you mentioned your experience. Sharp knives have a way of slicing my hands and I keep all of mine very dull. It wouldn't be safe for me to use a knife, hatchet, or ax.
Oh...Ok,lol. I saw the sad face and thought oh no!!! :lau
Please don't use dull knives, it actually increases the likelihood that you'll cut yourself. Keep the blade sharp and let it do the work for you. You're just there to guide it! ;)

An injection of sodium pentobarbital and they quietly go to sleep without muscle spasms and all the associated ugliness.
:(

This is not always true at all. ;(. We have had to let dogs go this way and have had two that did a lot of things that made me cry harder thinkin it wasn't workin right and they were hurting more. Yes. Most of the time but not always.

I was on bird #6, and I have done hundreds, I was tired and getting stiff, using a new knife, and just wanted to get done. This is what happened when I did the slit, it had healed quite a bit by this pic, but took a while.View attachment 1080252

Agree. I just processed chickens for the first time. My friend told me to break their necks before cutting the vein. He showed me the swinging method and it stressed me and the chicken out, plus I just couldn't do it hard enough. Then I tried the broomstick method and just failed at it. After that, I said screw it. Hung them up, cut the vein. Caused the least amount of stress for both of us. The chicken didn't even flinch when I cut it. Only flapped around at the end. When I had to put down a smaller chick, I suffocated it by covering the nostrils and closing the beak. I couldn't bring myself to do a bloody method and it seemed the easiest way.

Agree. I just processed chickens for the first time. My friend told me to break their necks before cutting the vein. He showed me the swinging method and it stressed me and the chicken out, plus I just couldn't do it hard enough. Then I tried the broomstick method and just failed at it. After that, I said screw it. Hung them up, cut the vein. Caused the least amount of stress for both of us. The chicken didn't even flinch when I cut it. Only flapped around at the end. When I had to put down a smaller chick, I suffocated it by covering the nostrils and closing the beak. I couldn't bring myself to do a bloody method and it seemed the easiest way.
Just as it should be,the way that's best for you and your birds, but that's just my opinion. ;)

Back
Top Bottom