Broudy hen help

Spitman

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Went to get eggs this afternoon and opened hatch to find the same hen in the same box as the day before. I didn't think anything of it yesterday but now I know she is broudy . What now do I take her and the eggs out of the nest box and separate them , what happens when they hatch,do they live with the flock or do I keep them separate from the other chickens.?what do I need to do for her and the chicks and what about after they hatch I'm thinking it will be much easier on me because won't she just care for them . She is a black austerlop. I thought I was done for the summer lol , never had a broudy hen before any advice would be great. Thanks Tom

Just leave her alone she will take care of everything. I have a broody sitting right now, all I do for her is make sure that she has water and food. My last two broodies hatched all their eggs and raised their chicks just fine. I love the fact that I do not have to worry about the other chickens hurting the llittle ones. These chickie mamas are like lionesses protecting their babies lol

Good luck and I know you will love watching that mama chicken raise her babies

Marion said it like it is, just wanna throw my word in as well. Broody's are amazing! They will do everything for the chicks. Just make sure you have water that the chicks can access easily for the first week or 2 since were in the middle of summer and it doesnt take much for a chick to dry up(here in Central TX anyways). Her attitude towards the rest of your ladies and gents will change slightly, more than likely becoming a little picky on the other birds if they get even close to the chicks.

Watching that broody showing the chicks how to scratch about in the dirt is my favorite part! HAVE FUN!

As the other two replies have said, enjoy the experience, there is nothing like it. I have a huge run and one corner is sectioned off for chicks with mamas. I just moved a hen and 7 two week olds into the big pen and they love it and everything is going great. This is a perfect opportunity to get some babies the easy way. If you are wanting a new breed of chicken this is a perfect time. Find some fertile eggs of the breed you want and slip them under there. Good luck and once again enjoy the experience.

Kenny

We have two broody mama's right now; they are both watching over the chicks they have decided to share
smile.png
Here is a great thread that I learned a lot from - the Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread It's currently over 260 pages long and has lots of advice. Good luck!

You can put your hen in a mop bucket filled with cold water and when her internal temp changes and drops down to where it should be, then the broodiness will go away. There was a thread post on here last week that included pics of the hen in the bucket talking about the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom