Brought picked on poult home from work, advice needed

smashley52683

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
First off, as a manager at a local farm supply store, and a chicken mommy for the first time in 15 years, the knowledge I've gained from this incredible community has been so helpful at both home and "the office". That being said, my knowledge of turkey husbandry is non existent.

This morning while tending to the brooder at work, I discovered one of the turkey poults had been picked on by his cage mates. He/she had bloody feathers and was acting pretty lethargic. I immediately applied some pick-no-more and isolated it into a section by itself. Since my chickens have graduated to their big girl digs outside, I decided to bring this baby home for some TLC. He/she has perked up and is eating and drinking, normal looking stools. What advice can you give regarding general turkey care and especially care to him/hers wings. No active bleeding or anything. I have already learned that housing them with my chickens is not a good idea, and that pine shavings should be avoided due to possible food confusion. I promised my husband we'd be only a temporary home, but my heart strings are already tugged for this little baby, so sweet...much sweeter than my girls. Our poultry comes from Hoffman Hatchery in PA and my only knowledge on his/her breed is that (s)he is a white poult.

Heya, I just saw your posting. My son saw a little turkey at our local feed store today and begged his dad to get it for him so I have a little baby boy here and no knowledge how to care for him, any advice?

Hi, I wish I had more advice, but so far I have been caring for my poult in basically the same manner in which I took care of my chicks. My biggest question at this point, is what would be best to feed my baby. He's been eating the same start n grow that my chickens eat, I also have turkey starter for him. I'm kind of at a loss because from what I've read the chicken starter isn't high enough in protien, and the turkey starter is designed to bulk them up fast for butchering. This baby, as with my chickens are never going to see a dinner table...so I would love some more insight from other turkey pet owners on how to approach his dietary requirements. Also, I saw that supplements may help him in the long run. I'm not naive to think this guy will be with us for many years, but I want to keep him happy and healthy for what time he does have.

What breed is it?
If its a broad breasted then yes it will not be around for many years unless you put it on a diet.
Heritage and it could be around for many years.

You need to take her off start and grow immediately! It contains antibiotics for chickens that turks simply can't handle. Your chick may be being poisoned. You should get some flock raser. That's what I have my turks on.

Last edited:
Whatever reason she was weak enough to let the other chicks pick on her (whether it be due to the start n grow, or an injury, or a disease, virus or infection) will not get better until she has the right diet. Her immune system is greatly weakened and in order to fight off whatever is making her lethargic, you needs to get rid of what is causing the weak immune system. That would be my fist step then go from there.

For a broad breasted, I would recommend feeding a more natural diet consisting of leafy greens and bugs and worms for protein instead of the commercial food. Those birds were basically engineered to grow big fast so they can be butchered sooner so there was no need to have them live any longer. Their bodies basically give up on them because they just get so big. Commercial food seems to intentionally bulk up birds. Just make sure you do enough research on the diet you choose so you don't end up with a malnourished bird. Make sure it is well balanced. I would also recommend checking out game bird feed. It may be more natural than commercial feed and maybe it won't bulk her up with any unnecessary weight. Good luck to you and your little girl (or guy)

Thank you for the input, especially regarding the food. I've switched him to the medicated turkey starter. He was getting picked on, I think because his leg had gotten stuck in the brooder. He seems to be doing great now. I will research a more natural diet for him, and look at the game bird maintenance(we sell it at work).

Also just to add, the start n grow I had him on was non medicated, but I realize he does need to be on the medicated turkey starter.

Back
Top Bottom