1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brought silkies from the Auction and.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by erthymom2, May 1, 2009.

1. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I HAD to buy them - These poor things have a load of problems with them:
    toenails are long and curling under, feathers on feet/legs are caked with feces and mud, butt and underside feather - well, you know what they look like, and one poor roo guy looks like he was de-beaked!!
    One by one i will be cleaning,clipping and combing them out. The one little pullet looks like she was taken care of the best, but the 4 roo's are a mess.
    They are all being wormed and getting electrolites and vitamins, along with some gamebird feed to help perk them up.

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    [​IMG] They sound like a mess. I bet you will have them feeling and looking better in no time!
    [​IMG]

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    BEFORE & AFTER pics PLEASE!!!! [​IMG]

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    [​IMG] to you for saving them!!....... pics please

5. Be Absolutely sure you isolate these guys. I did this about two months ago. It took a long time to get them all to look decent and they were a mess.

I sold them to a friend after a month and they are now in a run with a small coop and they have the life of Brian.

I would do it again.

6. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Local auctions...disease...disease...the Horror! The Horror! [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Sorry, have to agree with that too... some things they will be carrier for life so careful when introducing them to your flock.

8. Again. ISOLATE. Be sure when you are doen with these guys that you clean up anything they touch. Even after 8 weeks of isolation, they can turn up with a disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by