Brower Top Hatch incubator modification. ^^PICTURES ADDED^^

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quintinp, Jan 6, 2012.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Well, I got a free THI10 Brower Top Hatch incubator. The thermostat broke in it, but that didn't keep me down. I finally bought a Bi-metal thermostat, and put it the Brower Top Hatch incubator. I don't have a thermometer in it at the moment, but I am letting the incubator set for a while, and then I will measure the temperature, and I also bought a new thermometer. I am really liking these two incubator warehouse products. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

*****UPDATE******

Here are the new pictures, the incubator is holding steady 99 degrees all throughout the incubator(I made sure it was). I have changed the light fixture to a standard bulb sized light bulb socket, instead of that little candelabra light bulb socket that comes with the incubator. I have also added 2 PC fans to it. I know a lot of you guys are opposed to this much air movement throughout the incubator, but this was the only way I could get this even temperature throughout the incubator. I am happy with it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. carsonwarren

carsonwarren New Egg

Dec 21, 2011
    Is this an older unit? i ask because i have a Brower top hatch on the way and mine has the bulb in a cone near the bottom. Is this an older unit with a different design, or could you place the lamp and rheostat on the bottom with some sort of protector around the bulb?

Interesting, heat rises, i think it might be problematic trying to keep the lower shelf were the eggs will rest at a consistent temperature.
    But i am very new at this! Good Luck!

3. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    No, this unit is very old, but is not too different from the other Top Hatch incubators. I am going to install a PC fan to the acrylic lid hopefully tomorrow.

4. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:This is what it used to look like when I first got it. [​IMG]

By the way, I recommend cutting the cone down a little bit. When I got mine, half of the cone was melted, and brown. This happened before the thermostat broke too. I used a dremel to cut it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I added a PC fan to it, and the temps are holding within a degree, all through out the incubator. I will post Pictures of it soon.

By the way, this incubator is not even insulated. I bet this will be a monster after I wrap it in some 1/2 polystyrene. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Okay, I have the updated pictures in the first post!

7. SD_Paulo

SD_Paulo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    Cool modification. I am not familiar with the TH incubators. Is it an autoturner? If so, wont your eggs hit the fans casing?

8. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    No, they are higher up than they look. I thought the same thing. Yes it is auto turner, all of the Top Hatches are.

9. troyer

troyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Throw it out unless the modified ones are better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by