Brower Top Hatch or Hova-Bator Genesis?

HillCountryMomma

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Hi Y'all,

I just finished up incubating a batch of eggs in a homemade incubator with mixed results. I started with questionable eggs (I had gotten sick and no one else thought to gather eggs so at the end of the week in one nest there were 30 some odd eggs! The nights were getting down into the 30s, no hens were setting), in a very questionable incubator, and actually had 3 adorable little chicks hatch out yesterday! Miserable hatch rate, but there were lots of compounding factors!

I am now searching for a decent low cost (no more than the Genesis) hobby incubator. I'm debating between the Genesis and the Brower. Both seem like good incubators. I like that the Brower is tall and is made out of durable plastic. I've read though that it can be really hard to stabilize temps with it. I like the 'preset' temp on the Genesis, but I'm not sure about the fact that it's made out of foam , I've also read about chicks burning themselves on the heating element. It also costs more!

I'm sure this question gets bandied around a lot. I did do a search and I've read both good and bad for both incubators. I'm so torn as to what to get!

Thanks,
Liz

I own the brower and its on my second hatch.

Pros. dishwasher safe and a big clear lid for easy viewing.

cons. Light flashes and motor gets annoying.

first hatch was a 96% hatch rate. or 11 out of 15 eggs

this is my first time with ducks so I am hoping i get a good hatch

first hatch was a 96% hatch rate. or 11 out of 15 eggs

Did you mean to type this?

I make it 73%, which is a decent average so ... just wondering​

Thank you for the correction but all 15 where fertile and would have hatched if my mitts where not in there all the time petting babies. I tried to resist
sad.png

This time with my duck eggs I am going to let them all hatch in there then pull em out

The hovabator 1588 with a turner by GQF will run you about $168 plus shipping. Everything is preset. You don't have to constantly adjust and fiddle with the settings. Plug it in. Warm it up. Add water for humidity. Add eggs. Wait 21 days.

I own 3 of these and find them to be one of the best home hobby incubators.

With what 3 and turners cost I could have bought a sportsman but - I have seen success stories and failures of different eggs being put into the same big bator for hatch. I have never had good luck doing mixed hatches. I have one I am using for goose eggs and turkey eggs will go in later this spring. I have 2 I am rotating with chicken eggs and using as a hatcher. The eggs I have ordered I am not willing to risk lossing the chicks due to the needed changes in humidity for the optimum positive hatch.

I also have 3 homemade bators I am using when I have over flow or test eggs.

Good luck with what you choose to buy for hatching.

I'm with you Miss P on the subject of mixed hatches.

It's one thing to add eggs to an incubator at different times, but if you do this you still need a separate hatcher. If you don't you can never get ideal conditions inside for all the occupants.

I also like the idea of incubators with different humidity conditions inside. If you want to increase hatch rates for more valuable eggs then using weight loss techniques are a good tool. Some eggs lose moisture at different rates, and require higher or lower humidity, even across the same batch.

I am being picky here, but the difference between a 75% hatch rate (good) and a 95% rate sometimes matters.

I agree with ya twigg. Remind me to never shove my hand in the bator again. I will say 75% then which is still good. I will let you know how well this hatch does
smile.png

I just thought about this. I technically bought 12 eggs on ebay. she sent 3 extra to cover shipping damamge. so its technically 11 out of 12

Last edited:
I have a Brower that i got used 4 years ago, it has worked well for me. I constantly add and remove eggs to a hatcher. Mine has been running since mid Jan. Tip get an extra set of ball bearings, I also put a drop of oil on the bearings. JB

I have the Genesis and its my first incubator. I read where people have problems with fluctuations with the heat and yada yada with other incubator brands. I have had mine set on 99.5 for a week now and it stays where it is set...I have had no problems so far. I think the Genesis is a good one. I have 6 out of 9 eggs with embryos.

Last edited:
The genesis is not the one everyone is refering to in the swing in temps, littlebanty.

The bators with the ether thermostats (wafer) are the ones that swing if the conditions are not well suited in the rooms they are set up in.

Back
Top Bottom