Brown Comets

I have heard they are great for meat when there laying years are over. They are listed as a dual breed on most websites, I have never done it myself tho so I am not sure
hu.gif

Last edited:
If they are golden comets, they are probably out of RIR roosters over white rock hens. Those are decent dual purpose breeds, although the RIR is a bit, how to say it, less suited for meat as compared to many other duals. If they are roosters, yeah, pretty good. If they are hens, probably not a lot of meat on them but similar to other dual purpose hens.

Sorta sounds like they are a bunch of hens that have laid for a couple of seasons and are being retired, so they would need to be cooked like an old bird. When I process a chicken I use the back, neck, wings, feet, gizzard, and heart to make broth and pick the meat from those to make chicken tacos, casseroles, chicken pasta, whatever you use cooked chicken meat for. That still leaves the legs, thighs, and breast for regular eating. They will be like any other dual purpose hen. If you get $2 worth of meat out of them, well that is for you to decide. You won't get much breast meat, running more to thighs and drumsticks.

Don't know if that helps any.

Quote:
They are retired hens. I figured I would have to slow cook them. Yeah I would prob pick the meat off to, use necks and backs for stock. I think I would get $2 worth. If meat off my quail is enough I think the hens would be to. Thanks for the help

They make great broth and shredded chicken sandwiches. We slow cook ours in a 350 degrees for about 2 hours dutch oven pot with a little water -Yum. Meat falls off the bone.

Back
Top Bottom