Brown egg laid on ground has whitish bloom???

Coop de Grass

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 30, 2015
South Brunswick, New Jersey
My brown egg laying hens have laid their eggs on the ground outside, and from the roost (onto sand also onto shavings) on three separate occasions. Those eggs have had a strange white/grey color to them. When removed from refrigeration they revert to their normal color, but when returned to the fridge they change back.

What causes this?

This egg was just removed from the regrigerator. The darkish end was in the egg carton.

I haven't been able to find any info on this and would like to understand the cause.
Thank you!

Excessive bloom on eggs can react to ambient humidity.
Thanks, @aart That makes explains why that egg also sweats when you remove it from the refrigerator.

I guess I don't understand why an egg laid on the ground, the same day as one laid in a nest box, has this "different" type of bloom. When I brought those eggs inside, they retained the odd color. They retain the color when they are in the refrigerator, but when you remove them from the refrigerator, the "natural" color returns, together with condensation.

Thanks.
bow.gif

Quote. No, that would be condensation..... cold object put in warm humid air will gather condensation on it's surface...same thing that makes your iced drink 'sweat'.
The color changes when the condensation makes the egg wet....would probably do the same color change if you ran it under water without cooling it first.

Each egg can have a different amount of bloom(and/or color coating and/or excess calcium), it can vary from egg to egg, rather regularly in some birds.
Actually, as I look at the pic again that off coloring could be excess calcium....'wet' excess calcium is probably more likely to change color than bloom of coating.

Back
Top Bottom