Brown egg troubles.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Backyard Farmin, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Backyard Farmin

Backyard Farmin New Egg

Sep 2, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Hi everyone, we have a lil delima. We have 5 New Hampshire reds laying now, 3 one day and 2 the next. Everything looks good other than the occaisonal shell-less (soft) egg. When we hard boil them we can't for anything get them peeled without tearing almost all the whites off, they stick to the shells. What gives? Is this just a brown egg problem, or a common problem to new layers? The girls just started laying about a month ago. Please help, have you ever had egg salad without the whites. [​IMG] UGGGGHH!

2. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    Fresh eggs are very hard to peel after hard boiling no matter the color. I just read a thread about this somewhere this morning. If they are at least a week old that seems to help. Other's posted that after you have boiled place in Ice water. Some said that helped others said it didn't.

I boiled some week old eggs this weekend and they did peel much easier.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Fresh eggs don't peel worth a darn. I keep a seperate carton for boiling eggs. If you wait 7-10 days it works like a charm. I've also cracked fresh eggs into nearly boiling water (don't let the water get to a full boil, it will tear the egg apart) and cooked them that way when I didn't have any old enough to be able to shell them and wanted to make potato salad.

4. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Change your subject line to how to hardboil fresh eggs. There was a post that gave the answer.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Check the Index, in the Recipes section. There are several threads about it.

6. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Add 3 tablespoons of salt into the egg-boiling water, and even fresh eggs should peel a lot easier. [​IMG]

7. countrylife

countrylife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mo
    steam your eggs for 12 min, gently crack the hot egg all around with the back of a spoon or on the counter, cool with water just until you can hold the egg without getting burned then gently roll the egg between your hands to loosen the shell.... waaalaaaa peel away works for me every time and you won't get the ugly green looking over cooked yolks

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Fresh eggs boiled ... will peel easily if you do this:

Bring water to a boil first, then put the eggs in.
    Boil 10 -15 mins (according to size).
    Put the hot boiled eggs into ICE water, to cool.
    The eggs are easy to peel now.

9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

poke one of the ends with a push-pin. it isn't a big enough hole for the egg to leak out but will let water in allowing it to "loosen up." Also you could steam them with works well too.

10. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I do that as well and have no problems shelling the eggs....I just use the tip of a knife to poke a hole in the large end. Works for me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by