Brown egg troubles.

Backyard Farmin

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Upstate New York
Hi everyone, we have a lil delima. We have 5 New Hampshire reds laying now, 3 one day and 2 the next. Everything looks good other than the occaisonal shell-less (soft) egg. When we hard boil them we can't for anything get them peeled without tearing almost all the whites off, they stick to the shells. What gives? Is this just a brown egg problem, or a common problem to new layers? The girls just started laying about a month ago. Please help, have you ever had egg salad without the whites.
hmm.png
UGGGGHH!

Fresh eggs are very hard to peel after hard boiling no matter the color. I just read a thread about this somewhere this morning. If they are at least a week old that seems to help. Other's posted that after you have boiled place in Ice water. Some said that helped others said it didn't.

I boiled some week old eggs this weekend and they did peel much easier.

Fresh eggs don't peel worth a darn. I keep a seperate carton for boiling eggs. If you wait 7-10 days it works like a charm. I've also cracked fresh eggs into nearly boiling water (don't let the water get to a full boil, it will tear the egg apart) and cooked them that way when I didn't have any old enough to be able to shell them and wanted to make potato salad.

steam your eggs for 12 min, gently crack the hot egg all around with the back of a spoon or on the counter, cool with water just until you can hold the egg without getting burned then gently roll the egg between your hands to loosen the shell.... waaalaaaa peel away works for me every time and you won't get the ugly green looking over cooked yolks

Fresh eggs boiled ... will peel easily if you do this:

Bring water to a boil first, then put the eggs in.
Boil 10 -15 mins (according to size).
Put the hot boiled eggs into ICE water, to cool.
The eggs are easy to peel now.

Back
Top Bottom