Brown face Orp chick

I breed poodles and when you cross a black and a blue, and the puppy is born black, its puppy fluff gets funny reddish highlights at a few weeks old if it is going to be turning lighter, blue or silver.

did somebody say chocolate gene.............
ya.gif
hurry let's get this project started.......
ya.gif

I had some pure blue Orps with black in them hatch a few months back from another breeder that hatched with a brown streak down the back and around the face. They feathered out completely blue with great lacing.

There is an orp breeder, Angela Stanley, who had some chocolate colored chicks hatch from her black lines. I think the yahoo group email stated she had gotten rid of them as they were all cockerals. It could be you are seeing a recessive gene coming out since this is a 2nd generation hatch.

How likely is it that your hen was mated by something else? Just an idea. I ask because I another breeder here had a chicken get out of a pen and mated with another chicken and threw off some mixed chicks that got hatched by someone.

Nothing can get in that coop and mate with her but her roo..I only have 3 roos, none of them can get to each others hen and mate.
I am careful about writing the name on which egg comes out of the nest as I pick them up before going into my apron..lol..I hope I have some pullets..lol...First pair is 3 weeks older than this past Saturday's hatch...lol

Back
Top Bottom