Brown layer Breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Everett500, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Everett500

Everett500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Im not sure what type of chickens to have. I know for sure i want them to lay brown eggs. What i plan to do is have 5 hens and 1 roo at all times. I want to breed them and sell the chicks while occasional have some fresh eggs for breakfast. I already have a pen and coop big enough for 15-20 chickens. Any suggestions on breeds that would fall into these categories and sell for a decent profit? I live in Georgia so its fairly warm 9 months out of the year.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    First off [​IMG]

Most hatcheries will actually have a section that show which one lays brown, white and blue. Now saying all that what I can think of off the top of my head is Barred Rock Buff Orphington, Australorps, Black & Red sex links, Rhode Island Reds & Speckled Sussex. You also have your dark brown layers and their the Marans & Welsummer!!

Hope this help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. Everett500

Everett500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    out of all those breeds which one would sell for the most money as pullets and cockerels?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If you are looking to make the "most" money out of your chicks then you will not want to buy your stock from a hatchery.

Chris

5. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Buff orpingtons are good layers of brown eggs, and being a popular breed they would probably be easy to sell. They also make great moms, and could hatch out some of your eggs for you. [​IMG]

6. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I love my barred rock hen, perfect temperment and started laying early, they are popular all over so it sholudn't be hard to find some. Also i love Jersey Giants they are amazing, they will be my next batch. Also i agree with chris09, chicks from hatcheries are still great but you'd wanna find a breeder.

My Barred Rock
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by