Brown leghorn or welsummer? Or a cross?

meloreskovich

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
I just bought this hen and was told she's a rose comb brown leghorn. But she lays brown eggs with speckles. So is she a different breed? Or a cross? Thanks for all your help!

I just bought this hen and was told she's a rose comb brown leghorn. But she lays brown eggs with speckles. So is she a different breed? Or a cross? Thanks for all your help!
Looks like a welsummer to me, except the comb...looks different. Hybrid?

Last edited:
That's not a rose comb, her ears are red and lays a brown egg. It's not a great looking comb but is single comb. It's a Welsummer.

Leghorns have white ears and lay white eggs.

Welsummer. My hens lay the same speckled eggs--I think they didn't get the memo they're supposed to coat the entire egg that dark color!

thanks to everyone! Guess I have a welsummer :) she's adapting well to the move and is quite smart!

Something I just thought of.....does it look to have grown in that way? One of my cockerels had a point bitten off by a lady friend who wasn't in the mood, itcould be from pecking. Maybe. I am on a phone and can't see super well, but I know it happened to him and he is missing one point off of his pretty single comb, so since she only has a couple, maybe that is what happened to her.

Back
Top Bottom