Brown Leghorn Rooster???

I think the norm is 90% correct sexing. The hatcheries don't guarantee sexing 100%... I'm assuming they had gotten a big batch of chicks in at the feed store?... Maybe you wound up getting the unfavorable 10%
barnie.gif

Also, like some body else stated, there are a lot of people handling the chicks, and they can easily get mixed up. Best thing to do if you want to be absolutely sure about sex is to get them once they are old enough to tell for sure, other wise you'll either be eating chicken dinner or selling a few roo's every now and then. I've never gotten any chicks sexed or not, with wing bands... Not from a hatchery or a breeder? But, there again, you'll still have that 10% chance... a band doesn't mean much in that respect. Obviously no offense intended
thumbsup.gif

Well with the feedback here and my own gut feeling I am sure those three are roosters. I called the feed store and they are not going to guarantee anything. So I am stuck with them. I have posted an add on CList to try to sell them. Are roosters harder to get rid of then hens? I am in Northern CA, anyone on here looking for some young roosters? They are really pretty and healthy, I just can't have roosters where I am. In fact I am pushing the legal number of hens as it is. Anyone have any ideas to find them a home?

Quote:
Post here in the sell/trade section. I think people like brown leghorns and you should be able to rehome them.

BTW, if you do Craigslist, your taker may eat them. If that's not a problem for you, fine - just something you should know.

I had 8 young roosters to re-home and I managed to find a home for all of them. It took a little time, but it was worth it. You can also post a notice at your local feed store/pet shop. They'll find homes.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I have 3 brown leghorns about this same age and had the same question as well. One has a fairly substantial comb and waddle. the other 2 almost have pea combs at this point. The wikipedia picture did not match at all aside from being brown :D this thread answered my question as well :D great info. The bird has not started crowing yet, or practicing. If I can get the okay from my neighbors about having a roo I will keep him around to watch after the girls. The dog does alright, but hes mostly an inside dog and keeps eating their food :D

I'm going to keep my ears open. We should be getting close to hearing something it is a roo.

It looks like the brown we got with the huge comb is a hen. Shes starting to behave like a girl. It was like over night about 4 of our adolescent girls started doing the whole squat and get ready bit. I think she just has a big ole floppy comb. Ima have to keep an eye on her this winter I think. she is fun to watch with that thing hanging over the way it does.

Do the brown leghorn chicks change color as they get older? I have a brown leg horn that looks like a rooster because of the comb but the hen and possible rooster have very similar feathers so far.

Here is the only other picture I have. I can take more tomorrow. But this picture clearly shows the difference between them. What do you think?

DSC_0046-vi.jpg

Do the brown leghorn chicks change color as they get older? I have a brown leg horn that looks like a rooster (5 weeks old) because of the comb but the hen and possible rooster have very similar feathers so far.

Back
Top Bottom