Brown Leghorn Rooster???

They look an awful lot like my hens when they were young. I honestly wasn't clear until they started laying. But for sure if they start practicing their crow shortly you'll know for sure :D

Brown leghorns have very specific color patterns depending on gender, so differentiating is actually quite easy, these birds are developing male coloring and, at 10 weeks, have the comb/wattle development and coloration of male leghorns, not female.

Agree emma has all cockerels. At this age hens vs cockerels is easy peasy in this color---males have black on the breast, hens have a salmon/brown/goldish color.

Look at the neck hackle feathers. Males generally have pointed neck hackle feathers, females have rounded feathers there. Notable exception is the Seabright Bantams ( both gold and silver ) where both sexes have round feather neck hackles.

Now I am a little concerned... Please see the photos of my four week old Brown Leghorns (I have ISA Browns too). These are supposed to be ladies but now I am not sure. I cannot find a clear image of a female chicks face. Can anyone help?

Back
Top Bottom