Brown Marmorated Stink Bug and chickens

OwensMom

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
CO Western Slope
Just read a very disturbing article about a "new" asian bug that hitched a ride here in the 1990's. It seems to be very invasive and right now plagues the eastern US. My question for you easterners with chickens-Will chickens eat these bugs or are they repelled by the nasty odor? Lets hope our feathered friends will help us out here!!

Chickens love them. I was at a poultry club meeting at a friend's house when the weather got really warm when the stink bugs come out of hibernation. She has a bug catcher vacuum and she sucked up a bunch of stink bugs and we went out to her coop to watch her feed them to her hens. They went wild over those bugs. I am actually looking forward to bug season this year so I can feed some to my girls.

Our chickens LOVE stink bugs! Our one hen goes around the shed and our house looking for them.
D.gif
When we pull something out of the garage, the chickens are there waiting to see if any are gonna fall out. LOVE it!

When we find one, it either gets handed to a chicken or flushed. I will NOT let it breed more stink bugs! They are awlful!!!

Hannakat, That is what i read. These seem like really invasive and destructive bugs. They literally suck the life out of plants. We aren't plagued with them yet but the word is that they are coming. At least those of us with chickens will have a way to fight back!!!!!

There is a product coming out in July (so I've been told) that is supposed to help. I think it is pheromone based. Better believe I'll be at the store the second I know it's in! I spent HOURS on the front and back porches last fall vacuuming them in the shop vac...thousands and thousands. Figured that every one I eliminated prevented new eggs being laid this year! grrrrrrrr

The way I'm trying to look at it is cheap chicken food! Miss Rehhead, Used to live in Marlboro many moons ago. Is it still rural out there?

We have stink bugs BAD too. I was worried that the foul smell might make it into the eggs. Does anyone know if the smell does or does not get into the eggs? If the bugs aren't bad for the eggs, I guess our girls will have an endless supply of treats.

Thanks a lot.

db
3 Pitbull rescues, 1 Cochin, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Ameraucana, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 rhode island red (and 1 pesky red fox) in Chester County, PA

Back
Top Bottom