brown odd shaped eggs are confusing me...

mamadukes5

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Easthampton, Mass
so I have a dozen eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch on Thursday. It's my third batch, and everything so far looks pretty good. Problem is that all the eggs are various shades of brown, mostly dark, and i cannot see through the shell to candle them. The one thing I can see is that some of them have the air space at the top and some have it at the bottom. One of my girls lays oblong-shaped eggs and I'm starting to wonder if I don't have some of them upside down. So the question is, I've had them what I thought was the correct way in the egg trays, but if I had them upside down, should I take them out of the trays and lay them flat in the bator to make sure the chicks can get out of the eggs or will moving them at this late date do more harm than good? Any opinions? I don't want them trying to hatch out the bottom of the eggs, but don't know if I should move them at this late date either.

yeah, I have some oblong brown eggs dues to hatch tonight or tomorrow and nature takes care of the oblong question. I took mine out of the auto turner and set them on their side and the big end just sits higher.
Not worries nature takes care of more than we realize.
have a good hatch!!
big_smile.png

You should set you eggs for hatching now if they are due on Thursday. I have some due on Thursday and I set them last night and have 6 pips last count.

IMG_3112.jpg

I took them out of the egg carton thing and put them down flat in the bottom of the bator last night. I didn't really want to open it, but better to open it for a minute and move them then have the poor things upside down. Tomorrow is day 21, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I made a candler out of a shop lamp with a 65 watt halogen bulb. I can see through dark eggs pretty good. I did put foil on the inside of the cardboard.

IMG_3079.jpg

Click on image for video.

My eggs
IMG_2953.jpg

Back
Top Bottom