Brown or blue eggs? Red white and blue chick

Emma_Bruffy

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
I dont have pictures of the chick yet but I will get them tommarow. When this chick hatched it looked like a brown leghorn or welsummer chick (chipmunk pattern) and I assumed that my brown leghorn must have been the mom and the GLW was the dad. When the wing feathers were coming in it was black and dusty brown like barred but brown instead of white. Well 4 weeks later and the chicks wings are blue, and her back is white and red. Her belly is also white so her dad had to be my blue easter egger. I assume the mom was an ISA brown because of that reddish brown on the back. The only question I guess I have is will it lay blue or brown eggs?

I dont have pictures of the chick yet but I will get them tommarow. When this chick hatched it looked like a brown leghorn or welsummer chick (chipmunk pattern) and I assumed that my brown leghorn must have been the mom and the GLW was the dad. When the wing feathers were coming in it was black and dusty brown like barred but brown instead of white. Well 4 weeks later and the chicks wings are blue, and her back is white and red. Her belly is also white so her dad had to be my blue easter egger. I assume the mom was an ISA brown because of that reddish brown on the back. The only question I guess I have is will it lay blue or brown eggs?
Did you get pictures? Because the dad is an Easter egger, you won’t know the egg color unless/until the chick lays an egg.

Here's the pics. Shes pretty cool looking but I guess it doesn't help determining her egg color

Attachments

• 20210520_175643.jpg
    20210520_175643.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210520_175640.jpg
    20210520_175640.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210520_175626.jpg
    20210520_175626.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 10
Cross between blue and brown is a green egg. The exception might be if the roo is split and did not pass on the blue, so then brown. I'm not a genetics expert but brown passes on multiple genes so it most likely will be passed on.

Last edited:
50/50 chance of green or brown eggs IF the EE rooster has a copy of the blue gene, if he doesnt then only brown. EE are always a waiting and guessing game

Pretty sure it's a girl since one of my chicks a week younger than her has a full red comb and wattle, she is about 4 to 5 weeks old but I wont know for sure until about 8 weeks
I’m saying cockerel because of the feathers on the shoulders. You should update this post in a few weeks if you can.

Back
Top Bottom