Brown Rot (with ducks and chickens about)

hfchristy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2012
All of our stone fruit have had increasingly bad brown rot despite trying to pick every one of the fruit mummies and dispose of them.
It sounds like fall spraying is the recommended treatment, and I'm not opposed to using chemicals once more holistic options have been exhausted, especially for a spray that won't be going directly on something we eat.
But... the ducks. Our yard is relatively small, and the prevailing wind goes past the fruit trees, then to the ducks, so it would be a challenge to move them someplace they won't be downwind.
And if we did figure that out, there's still the matter of them being foraging creatures who live to hang out under those trees! I'm also not sure how we would keep out the neighbor's chickens which are truly free-range with small enough overnight coops that keeping them penned in all day would be cruel.

I'm open to any suggestions!

I've been using

https://baygardens.com/products/sulfur-fungicide-1lb?variant=18314109550643

(it comes in a larger size as well)

during the spring/summer because it has a 0 day fruit withdrawal period (pretty sure but you should double check). its been helping, but I'm not consistent with it so the brown rot's not gone, but its safe for the birds. or at least as safe as the brown rot is because they still eat the peaches that drop.

I am thinking about using something stronger this winter since I dont have to worry about fruit withdrawal, and I hadnt really considered the birds so I'm glad I saw your post.

if I get around to doing research, I'll report back.

Back
Top Bottom