Brown spots ON brown eggs

dudethecat

Hatching
May 31, 2015
Renton, Washington
Hi, I found lice and lice sacs/nest on my hens, while googling "how do I get rid of lice sacs" I got distracted by a page saying brown spots on eggs are mites. Is that true? Because I've had brown spots (not poo) on eggs.
Also... I still haven't learned how to get those cement like lice sacs off of my chickens feathers. Any advice? Thank you, Karen

Last edited:
Those brown flecks are not because of lice. Think of brown eggs as being white with that brown 'coating' applied to it. Some hens will have a bit of 'over-spray'.
Ditto Dat^^^

The lice eggs on the base of feathers are hard to get off....
....best to treat for the lice every 10 days until they are gone and let the chicken preen off the lice egg remains.

Last edited:
Not yet, I'm getting ready to get some essential oils, then gearing up to clean out the coop and run, then give my chickens a bath and a treat them with the oils.
If you have lice eggs clustered on the feather shaft bases, you have an infestation.....essential oils will not likely get rid of them.

Dang-it. Yes, that's what they have, clusters on the bottom of the feather shafts.
I was advised to suffocate the clusters with oils (essential, neep or coconut) and treat with DE, and keep it up every 10 days.

Dang-it. Yes, that's what they have, clusters on the bottom of the feather shafts.
I was advised to suffocate the clusters with oils (essential, neep or coconut) and treat with DE, and keep it up every 10 days.
Oil could suffocate the egg clusters.....but won't kill the live lice, DE probably won't either.

Back
Top Bottom