Brown?

awizkey

Songster
Apr 22, 2017
Northeastern Ohio
I bought 4 prairie blue bell eggers, 3 sapphire olive eggers, and a golden comet. I saw one of the olive eggers go into the coop so I checked on it 15 minutes later and she laid a light brown (almost pink) egg? What happened?

Since olive eggers are a cross of a blue Egger breed such as an Ameraucana and dark egg layer breed such as a Black Copper Marans, they can lay different shades depending on the generation, the genetics, the parents birds, and luck.

It can also be due to the time of year that she’s laying, if she’s usually laying, or if she’s young and hasn’t gotten her system fully working yet.

However, if she’s laying a light pinkish egg, I’d think she’s more of an Easter Egger than an olive egger. Since, she’d need to be breed to a dark egg layer to get a good olive egg. Sounds to me her parents were a colored layer and a medium brown egg layer, not a dark. Maybe even an EE to a brown layer.

Basically, once the others lay, you should be able to tell if it was due to bad genetic crossing of the parents.

Though I hope your other girls lay nice olive eggs!

Since olive eggers are a cross of a blue Egger breed such as an Ameraucana and dark egg layer breed such as a Black Copper Marans, they can lay different shades depending on the generation, the genetics, the parents birds, and luck.

It can also be due to the time of year that she’s laying, if she’s usually laying, or if she’s young and hasn’t gotten her system fully working yet.

However, if she’s laying a light pinkish egg, I’d think she’s more of an Easter Egger than an olive egger. Since, she’d need to be breed to a dark egg layer to get a good olive egg. Sounds to me her parents were a colored layer and a medium brown egg layer, not a dark. Maybe even an EE to a brown layer.

Basically, once the others lay, you should be able to tell if it was due to bad genetic crossing of the parents.

Though I hope your other girls lay nice olive eggs!
Thank you. I called customer service today at the hatchery and she told me I am not correct. Uh, I am not color blind. And only 1 of the 3 olive eggers have a tuft on top of their head. I will never buy from Hoover again after that conversation. She basically blew me off.

Back
Top Bottom