Brrrr it’s going to be cold outside 🥶🥶

That cold snap is coming for my chickens too. I went out when it was really windy to check the buildings for drafts. Then, I just double-checked everything else. I do deep litter. I put down some fresh bedding and turned, refreshed the nesting boxes, made sure the heaters for the water were all in place, and made sure the flat panel radiant heaters were ready and secured. I already moved my 2 old girls to winter in the outer room of the quail building. We’ve been getting a ton of rain here, so I’ve kept an eye out for any leaks as well. One other thing I’ll do is supply them with warm plain oatmeal as a morning treat, and I’ll give a little scratch in the evening. I mix in chopped fruits and vegetables with the oatmeal. They love it… especially the Seramas.

It wouldn't hurt hurt them to but some Vaseline or coconut butter - make sure warm. People have different opinions about it but it always worked great for me. Again some people think it doesn't help but with super cold weather sometimes we need to try it.
It's not that it wouldn't help, it's that if it gets below freezing, then it's worse to have it on their combs as it'll freeze.

If you add super warm water it will make a mash - almost like porridge. It will keep your chickens super warm. Also I bake them chicken cookies - I can give you the recipe I use if you would like - and that keeps them entertained on the days that it's too cold or snowy for them to be let out of the coop.
I’d love the recipe! Thanks so much!

Also what type of feed to give your chickens - crumbles, mash, or pellets?
I've been feeding my girls Kalmbach Layers reserve 17%. I supplement them with warm oatmeal with red pepper flakes and scrambled eggs. I have also been adding a little poultry cell to their water and giving them warm water twice a day to encourage them to drink. Everyone is doing well, I'm mostly worried about my one girl who molted late and doesn't have her feathers back yet :(

Back
Top Bottom