Brrrr it’s going to be cold outside 🥶🥶

Jakemedic

Crowing
Sep 27, 2023
SE IOWA
Hello and greetings from the soon to be frozen tundra of Iowa!

We got a foot of snow over the last day, and now this weekend, they are predicting highs below zero. Wondering if there is anything I should do proactively to keep my girls safe?

Thus far we have plastic shower curtains all around the run, with ventilation at the top and a water heater for their water. Is there anything else we should consider doing to keep the ladies safe and warm? They have access to the elevated hen house anytime and we are going to add a layer of hay into the run. They seem to enjoy spreading it around.

it is our first winter with chickens, and we have grown quite fond of them. Thanks in advance for any advice, it is much appreciated!
Jake

Attachments

• IMG_2974.jpeg
    IMG_2974.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2973.jpeg
    IMG_2973.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 7
Should we proactively put something on their combs? Thanks for responding!
It wouldn't hurt hurt them to but some Vaseline or coconut butter - make sure warm. People have different opinions about it but it always worked great for me. Again some people think it doesn't help but with super cold weather sometimes we need to try it.

We are in for the same cold snap, I will keep the coop dry, give them some scratch and sunflower seeds before roost time. I planned on doing deep liter in the coop but should not of cleaned the coop in the fall because now there is no composting going on, just clumps of frozen chicken poo.

Crumbles I think anyhow. There are some pellets in it too. I’ll post once I get home!
If you add super warm water it will make a mash - almost like porridge. It will keep your chickens super warm. Also I bake them chicken cookies - I can give you the recipe I use if you would like - and that keeps them entertained on the days that it's too cold or snowy for them to be let out of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom