Bruised vent, lethargic, can't stand chicken.

The purple comb sounds worrisome. It could be that she was getting sick when the bullying started occurring. Chickens will pick on a weak link.

I had recommended keeping her inside the coop just to keep her rank in the pecking order, but she may need to come inside to be observed closely. I would keep her inside with you to offer food and water. Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged, more than the others? It looks more full in the pictures, and that can sometimes be a sign of ascites or internal laying. I wonder why she cannot stand now? She does sound like she is sick from another reason.

The purple comb sounds worrisome. It could be that she was getting sick when the bullying started occurring. Chickens will pick on a weak link.

I had recommended keeping her inside the coop just to keep her rank in the pecking order, but she may need to come inside to be observed closely. I would keep her inside with you to offer food and water. Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged, more than the others? It looks more full in the pictures, and that can sometimes be a sign of ascites or internal laying. I wonder why she cannot stand now? She does sound like she is sick from another reason.

Yes, literally a few days before she stopped coming out of the coop i was just saying "man chicken nugget is a big girl now", she was the runt when we got this flock hence the name Chicken nugget. Anyway I love this little girl and have had her inside for 24 hours now. I am kindly making her drink and eat apple cider water and Greek yogurt, just to give her something and she got her soak this morning.

I also checked the Pollo my other none bully chicken and she is missing one or two feathers from her vent so I am going to have to pull cinnamon "the bully" out and crate her for a bit.

If you posted pictures of your coop and run we might be able to make suggestions for strategies that might help.

What is the protein percentage of the feed they get?
(Is it a layer feed)
How much do they get in treats?
(Yes, even healthy treats)

If they get a typical 16% protein layer feed and treats which generally have 0% protein
You have to understand that the addition of them to their diet DILUTES (subtracts from) their total daily protein intake.

Not getting enough protein can trigger mean, or cannabilistic behavior.
(The “Hangry” factor)

Therefore, I would immediately switch to a higher protein feed and knock out almost all treats.

I cant remember but I know we looked at that carefully when we originally got chickens years ago. I don't have pictures of the coup yet, but I did notice a couple of feathers missing form my silkies vent so I believe I am gonna have to pull Cinnamon "the bully"

The coup is probably about 7x4 and they free range all day. We have had up to six chicken and never had this problem.

For sick birds I usually mix up a mash of chicken feed, plus some egg—raw or cooked, a tsp of plain yogurt, and a lot of water. Bread is not good to give, but a few wheat bread crumbs can make it interesting. Other high protein temptations are canned tuna, liver, hamburger, or Friskies canned cat food pate (my chicken’s fave.) once they are eating well, I stop the extras and go back to chicken feed plus a bit of egg.

Has Nugget been laying eggs recently? Sorry if I asked that already, ut many hens who do not lay, can be suffering from repro problems.

For sick birds I usually mix up a mash of chicken feed, plus some egg—raw or cooked, a tsp of plain yogurt, and a lot of water. Bread is not good to give, but a few wheat bread crumbs can make it interesting. Other high protein temptations are canned tuna, liver, hamburger, or Friskies canned cat food pate (my chicken’s fave.) once they are eating well, I stop the extras and go back to chicken feed plus a bit of egg.

Has Nugget been laying eggs recently? Sorry if I asked that already, ut many hens who do not lay, can be suffering from repro problems.

Thanks for the food advice. She was laying everyday before this happened. I did the gloved finger trick to see if she had a egg stuck because she was releasing in her soak what looked like white stringy egg white, but I didn't feel anything.

Here are some pictures of her today.

Attachments

• IMG_6388.JPG
    IMG_6388.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6389.JPG
    IMG_6389.JPG
    551.5 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom