Brusied Eggs

lionheartsails

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 20, 2013
Tomball, TX
We have a Buff Orpington, who is almost 2yrs. She lays Extra Large eggs and lately has been laying Double Yolks.

Since she first began laying, all of he eggs have had a small bump on the side around the axis of max diameter and is always in the same relative location. This spot is slightly discolored with a purple tint and is typically softer. The imperfections are becoming more pronounced and more fragile. At times there are lines radiating out from the bump, with the occasional cracks.

Gypsy I believe was born with a deformity herself. Her Left leg is smaller than her right and due to her large size, she is unable to fully support herself. She is one of a flock of 4 chickens we have and gets around fine and I would consider the Alpha of the flock.

Anybody have any Ideas on what may be causing the issues with Gypsys' eggs and a remedy?

welcome-byc.gif

With her other issues, I'm thinking it may be something congenital that can't be fixed, sorry. My only idea is to see if you're supplementing calcium, maybe boost her intake a little and see if that helps.

We are having the same issue. Only our hen does not seem to have any abnormalities. She lays very large eggs. This is the first egg where it's had a large lump that is a deep red at the peak and the lump is surrounded by fine cracks. I haven't cracked it open yet to see if the yolk is normal. Ran inside to check this website and see if there was an explanation. Very strange!

Rychr, sounds just like what we are getting from Gypsy.

With Gypsy, some eggs are a lot worse than others, They started out as just a "bump". The inside of the eggs appear to be fine. If they look too bad, they go on the compost pile otherwise I use them. I can almost say they come in cycles. They will look OK, then get worse, then better. Then the cycle starts over again.

They free range in the back yard and are given all Layena they want. Recently added Oyster Shells to the coop, which they don't seem to care for.

Still no luck on what is causing the issue or a solution. Good Luck Rychr.

Back
Top Bottom