Brutus the Barber Drumstick

Jun 29, 2022
Delaware
IMG_20221007_092701822.jpg
IMG_20221007_092711677.jpg
IMG_20221007_092726518.jpg

So far, so good. I managed not to get a single Roo in all our chick purchases from TSC (not so lucky with the ducks, two Pekin drakes 😬)

But my ladies started squatting for me (I panicked lol, I thought my girl was sick or something the first time one did it) and laying eggs, and I'd hoped for a Roo. The kids are hoping to donate some fertilized eggs to their FFA program in highschool.

This is Brutus, a beautiful and so far gregarious barred roc roo a friend of ours needed to offload (he unfortunately ended up with 8 roosters this season) some of the ladies seem pretty enamoured with him, and he's been super stoic about their hen pecking ways. 😁

He hasn't tried to mate anyone yet, is there a considerable size different between br's and leghorns? I don't want my girls getting hurt, but he's a pretty big sweetheart so far.

He'd never free ranged (he spent five days in a sperate cage while the girls got to meet and greet thanks to the rain from Ian) and was super confused when I let everyone out this morning lol, but he seems to catch on quick.

Brutus is getting along quite nicely, some of my hens are downright smitten with him and follow him all around. He's really fond of my light brahma who's tepid about him lol, but oh my gosh, I've gotten to witness the rooster shuffle dance many times now and I have to say, it's the silliest, cutest thing I've ever seen. So far his killer dance moves have not wooed her as intended, but he's not easily defeated.

He's doing it right anyway, he tidbits, does his adorable little dance, and they agree or not, he's really chill about it.

No agressive displays towards people or chickens, he took a half hearted run at my ten year old but she was chasing our pekins around the yard and making everyone upset, he also backed off right away when she didn't flinch from him.

He's big and dumb and sweet. I hope he stays this way. 😊

Brutus is getting along quite nicely, some of my hens are downright smitten with him and follow him all around. He's really fond of my light brahma who's tepid about him lol, but oh my gosh, I've gotten to witness the rooster shuffle dance many times now and I have to say, it's the silliest, cutest thing I've ever seen. So far his killer dance moves have not wooed her as intended, but he's not easily defeated.

He's doing it right anyway, he tidbits, does his adorable little dance, and they agree or not, he's really chill about it.

No agressive displays towards people or chickens, he took a half hearted run at my ten year old but she was chasing our pekins around the yard and making everyone upset, he also backed off right away when she didn't flinch from him.

He's big and dumb and sweet. I hope he stays this way. 😊
Sounds like he's going to be a good rooster! How old is he now?

Sounds like he's going to be a good rooster! How old is he now?
I believe he's about a year old, maybe a month or two under.

My flock consists of 32 laying hens (mostly partridge leghorns, with a smattering of impulse weird chickens) and he's my only rooster, I'm really impressed with him so far.

Back
Top Bottom