BSL hen

LibRat

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Illinois
I have a black sex link hen that I got in July. Her owner said she literally just hatched some chicks the week we picked her up. Can anyone tell me how often this breed goes broody? I'm getting impatient lol I want babies!

It's extremely rare for BSL hens to go broody. In general, a commercial hybrid like the BSL will not go broody, as that has been bred out of them.

It is not unheard of, however. My broodies try to sit 2-3 times per year. I would not expect her to sit again until spring.

You can't make her sit. You can encourage her by leaving some golf balls or fake eggs in the nest so there's something for her to sit on after you remove the eggs, but that's all you can do.

It's extremely rare for BSL hens to go broody. In general, a commercial hybrid like the BSL will not go broody, as that has been bred out of them.

It is not unheard of, however. My broodies try to sit 2-3 times per year. I would not expect her to sit again until spring.

You can't make her sit. You can encourage her by leaving some golf balls or fake eggs in the nest so there's something for her to sit on after you remove the eggs, but that's all you can do.
Ok thanks. She might b a mix too. Im not sure i got her from a farmer down the road and he said she was RIR lol so im not sure exactly what she is. I had ppl on here show me pics and telk me she looked like a bsl though

I hatched a BSL this spring: Daddy was RIR, Mom was PBR. She's a beautiful bird, though she does have some neurological issues. I'm wondering if a BSL from a back yard flock might be more prone to broodiness than the production birds. IMO, back yard sex links might be more prone to show some broody tendencies. Harvey Ussery makes a comment in his book that broodiness is not at all difficult to bring back in future generations of production stock.

Back
Top Bottom