BSL looks like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by equinelyn, Jun 7, 2011.

1. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Here is a pic of my Black sex Link cockerel. But I see other young chickens online that look just like him and is a BR?

Do they look the same as adults? What should mine look like as a adult? I can't find any adult pics of BSL roosters that look like him.

Any help would be great!

[​IMG]

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    it well look a lot like a barred rock and it be hard to find pic of bsl rooster sence most of them dont make it more then a day sence no one wants them

3. equinelyn

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    awww why don't people want them? Because they can't produce anything but complete mixed breeds?

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    that hole reason they sex link them so they dont end up with boys most never nake it out hatchery

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Most do make it out of the hatchery but are sold as meat chicks. Same goes for red sex link and golden comets roos. I have a bunch of golden comet roos here that someone bought and once they found out they were all roos, they were going to turn them loose. I brought them here but they are meat chicks here.

6. equinelyn

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Here are other pics of him. He is seven weeks now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    If you look close at him his barring is real bad if he were a BR but normal for a BSL Roo Most will also get some red leakage some it's so little it's dismissed my new chicken owners and some it's rather noticeable.Also that more solid smudged black look on his wings and other places..BR don't have that He will look basically like he does now
    We had one old farmer come out and try to convince me I had a pen full of Dominicker roos which here all barred chickens are no such thing as a BR [​IMG] told him they were BSL roos and well "little lady I have had chickens my whole life" yeah whatever they are still BSL
    They do make fine roos for a backyard flock that doesn't care about pure breeds..they are very hardy and we never had problems with attitude from them...then they also taste like chicken if they get attitude [​IMG]

8. equinelyn

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Wow thanks so much you have so much info! I hope he has a nice temperment. So would it be crazy to let any of his eggs hatch out when he breeds my hens? We only eat the eggs now. Or would they look like muts lol

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I don't understand the look like mutts [​IMG] although we breed some nice chickens here some of my favorites are my "designer clucks" aka my layers which many are cross bred.There are many advantages to them including like a mutt dog they tend to get the better of both breeds in health and hardiness.If your just out for eggs and yard art he will be a fine rooster.

10. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:[​IMG] tastes like chicken... LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by